new linux bug/malware found.

Killer223

Being a part time IT person, I try and keep tabs on the virus seen. found http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/24/technology/security/bash-bug/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Got Root?

Root kits are the real danger. A root kit is a system of malicious software designed to obfuscate itself such that the user has no idea it was installed and is running. I have been a victim of a root kit (long ago) and strongly suggest the addition of the rkhunter tool. In fact, when installing a new Linux system, rkhunter is one of the first tools I add. And as soon as it is added, it is used.

Root kits are those nasty pieces of software that once installed are really difficult (if not impossible) to remove. And some root kits are so bad they compromise your system such that you can not recover. And if you're wondering how many root kits are out there, install rkhunter, run it, and see how many root kits it checks for. You will be surprised. And root kits do not just attack servers. I have seen desktop machines infected with root kits. This is especially true if your Linux machine lives on a static IP address with no firewall protection between it and the outside world.

Final Thoughts

So, what do you think? Is Linux immune to viruses? I hope your answer is "no." That answer, and the prevention it inspires, will keep your Linux machine virus free for years to come. Personally, I have used Linux for 15 years and not had a virus or any malicious software on any of my personal machines or servers. If you are cautious like me, you too can enjoy virus-free computing for years. But if you fall into the trap of believing that Linux is perfectly immune to viruses, you very well might fall victim to that naivety.

Now naturally, if you are using a Windows machine, you are taking advantage of an anti-virus solution to prevent such issues from arising. What about Linux? Do you need an anti-virus for Linux? You might be surprised when I say "Yes!" But why? If Linux is so much more immune to viruses, why should you employ a virus scanner?

Let me ask you a simple question: Have you ever forwarded anything with attachments to another user? If so, is that user a Windows user? If so, you could very well have given that attachment a chance at a successful infection. So why not add a virus scan to your Linux system to avoid such an issue?

And if you manage your own email server (such as a Postfix or Sendmail server) on a Linux machine, anti-virus scanning is a must have. Just because your email server is a Linux machine does not mean an email containing a virus is non-lethal. That email-strapped virus could easily make its way to a Windows machine where it will happily begin its infectious life.

To that end, you owe it to yourself to install an anti-virus such as ClamAV.

Edited by Killer223

• Administrator

Biggest problem is people that play with dual booting between Windows and Linux or using WINE at the ROOT level. The risk is greatly reduced when you are solely Linux. Now you can still be attacked from 3rd party software you download. This why I'm a bit fussy and stick to the repositories mostly. I really don't like having to download a raw code program and compile it into C. Way too risky. Being smart about the usage of the Admin password (SUDO) make a huge difference. On top of all this I'm make full system backups as well. Since I follow most of these rules I don't need the ClamAV. There is a problem with it and the reports of false positives it does give.

Skip down to Viruses...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812