• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thoughts on Edge EZ vs Superchips Flashpaq vs Other Econo Tuners

I had two EZ's and they both got corrosion inside of them and went south quick. If you buy one over the net, get them to send you a pic of the inside. Its real simple to take the two screws off the back and see inside. As far as settings leave it on 3, I don't know why they even made the other two settings.

Ilikeoldfords numbers are impressive with hand math using GPS. The only difference I can't do those kind of numbers at those speeds. Mine tend to drop off rather quickly above 60 MPH. At 65 MPH I typically see 18-20 MPH at 75 MPH it more like 14-16 MPH. But now at 55 MPH I can easily keep mid 20's... So you got me beat for speed and MPG number that's for sure. I'm also 3.55 gears but my RPM's would be much higher at highway speeds.

I've been trying to stay right at 55 and seems that I can't get over 17-18 but at 65 I seem to get right at 20. I got 3.55 also but my tires are slightly bigger. Also I got quad and on suggested level 5-7 I can't get over 17 but at level 1 which is max mpg (all timing) according to quad but they don't say how much timing ether, I get close to 20. Seems that at 55 I ether have to down shift a lot or egt and boost goes up and mpg goes down.

• Owner

It's about torque curve. Your larger tires move your torque curve. Like I'm near optimal RPM's at 55 MPH but with larger tires your RPM's will be lower and your torque requirements will be higher. So you have to roll faster to get the torque curve. But in the same token your wind drag is increased as you travel faster.

• Like 1

It's about torque curve. Your larger tires move your torque curve. Like I'm near optimal RPM's at 55 MPH but with larger tires your RPM's will be lower and your torque requirements will be higher. So you have to roll faster to get the torque curve. But in the same token your wind drag is increased as you travel faster.

True. My bro has a stock ram with 3.55's and stock tires. My truck runs at the rpms as his does, just about 10 mph faster. The difference between stock tires and the 35's.

I have a trick for the wind resistance though. Just drive with the wind!! Make all kinds of good mileage that way :tongue:

I stayed with the optional OEM tire size when I bought the new Coopers.  I have not checked the MPG but with the original MIchilin MTX (more of a highway appearing tread than AT they claim) I best ever of 18.  I am certainly hindered by the 4.10 ratio. 

My Quadzilla (remember them) is inside the cab, tucked under the carpet near the GO pedal, high & dry.  Everything added under the hood is in corrigated chafe protection like OEM...    best others not notice add ons at inspection time. 

I agree putting unsealed elecronics under the hood??  Bad idea!   

Well, I'm passing on the Edge model 30200, and holding out for a definite fit 30201.  I am trying to do this on a shoestring, so used EZ is best for now with hopes of adding a Juice later when money permits.  I too agree with the torque curve, my mileage with the stock 16's and 245's at 55-60 was usually around 18-19, and did better at 65-mph to the tune of 22-23 mpg.  With the new dura-grapplers in the 265/70 size, the mileage is best around 65-70 and runs 21-22.

• Owner

Weird. I can't do the 65 MPH at those numbers.

Even at 60 MPH I drop to about 19-20 MPG. 3.55 Gear. 5 speed manual trans. Wheels and Tires only weight mere 62 pounds. The 235's are 1.1 inches narrower and 0.04 inches taller (or 1 rev/mile more).

45 MPH = 27-32 MPG

55 MPH = 20-23 MPG

65 MPH = 16-19 MPG

75 MPH = 13-15 MPG (Rare to do since I got to be on a interstate and there is none up here).

Weird... on the interstate with a combined 65 for 30 miles 75 for 70 miles and 60 for 20 miles I can net over 23. 

My truck does not like 60 mph though as that's right at 1500 rpm and I don't want to stress the 5th gear nut anymore than I have to!

My truck has a definite sweet spot around 1750-1800 rpm, and in that zone I'm doing a tick over 65.  If I remember Caj Flynn posted something about that sweet spot at one time.  Mike, maybe give that a shot sometime and see if it makes a difference to your truck, although I do have an auto.

Weird. I can't do the 65 MPH at those numbers.

Even at 60 MPH I drop to about 19-20 MPG. 3.55 Gear. 5 speed manual trans. Wheels and Tires only weight mere 62 pounds. The 235's are 1.1 inches narrower and 0.04 inches taller (or 1 rev/mile more).

45 MPH = 27-32 MPG

55 MPH = 20-23 MPG

65 MPH = 16-19 MPG

75 MPH = 13-15 MPG (Rare to do since I got to be on a interstate and there is none up here).

According to your numbers the lower your speed is the better mpg you get, I'm going to give it another try between 45 and 55 and see if it's any better. Might take me extra 10 minutes to get to work but I usually get there 20 minutes early anyway.

• Owner

How is it different from liometer that's in a truck. Mine is about 3-4 miles off.

Calibrated dead on. When you get a ScanGauge II you have to calibrate both speed and the GPH flow rate for the number. What the ScanGauge II displays for gallons used is right where the pump kick off at. The lie-o-meter above is calibrated only for stock wheels, tires and fuel system. Then there is no way to recalibrate the lie-o-meter to oversized tires or bigger injectors.

• Like 1

OK, so I think I've made up my mind, but.... Does anyone know if the Edge JWA CS comes with all of the gauge wiring/harnesses or are each one sold separate? If they are all extra, I'm going to get a 3 gauge Isspro EV mechanical set from Vulcan (Egt, Boost, Trans Temp)instead,  and either an EZ or a Comp, once I determine that everything is running OK with the gauges. Anyone know whats included???

PS:

If anyone is in the market, I think I can get an Edge for $333 to my door, a Comp for $436 or a JWA CS for $710, shipped from a national parts chain using a coupon code.  I have gone all the way through the purchase until clicking the last button, so it seems the coupon is working.  I don't want to post it here for fear of it being overused but if you PM me I'll tell you the store and code. 

It all depends on how you drive and how much power you use. If you like the power and put your foot to the floor a lot it might last a week or two. If you drive aware of your weak trans it could last a long time. I recommend that you don't hook up the wiretap until you get the trans built.

24V rule of thumb (for me anyways): 1 fuel pressure gauge 2 Lift pump 3 clutch/ transmission 4 some fuel 5 bigger turbo 6 more fuel  :thumb1: