• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Miss at all RPMs

Came back to the apartment today and was letting the turbo cool down when it went to a complete dead miss for 2-3 seconds. Shook the whole truck then went back to it's normal half miss. To me that sounds like fuel delivery not valve train or piston/ ring related

Once again here we go go back and have the injectors pop tested. Still might not be a bad idea to compression test the engine while the injectors are out of the head.

I will be compression testing this coming Tuesday night (1 week from now) If the compression test comes back all good I WILL have the injectors sent out Wednesday morning. 

If I could stop driving it I would... But this is my DD and until next Tuesday there is nothing I can do but drive it and hope nothing gets destroyed. 

• Owner

I am wondering, why couldn't this be the VP44? Remember these pumps have the capability to shut down three cylinders.

If engine coolant is over 140*F it can't start 6 cylinder or 3 cylinder.

If engine coolant is over 170*F all 6 cylinder and 3 cylinder modes are cancelled till coolant temperature falls below 140*F.

So it not going to be a injection pump or ECM thing. But... It's very possible for a injector(s) that is pissy or pop pressure is off to create a misfire condition. It very possible for a cracked piston to create this problem too. JL Welding was the one that comes to mind that spent huge amount of money chasing misfire problem that turned out to be a cracked piston. Hence why I'm still suggesting injectors being pop tested and compression test.

If engine coolant is over 140*F it can't start 6 cylinder or 3 cylinder.

If engine coolant is over 170*F all 6 cylinder and 3 cylinder modes are cancelled till coolant temperature falls below 140*F.

So it not going to be a injection pump or ECM thing. But... It's very possible for a injector(s) that is pissy or pop pressure is off to create a misfire condition. It very possible for a cracked piston to create this problem too. JL Welding was the one that comes to mind that spent huge amount of money chasing misfire problem that turned out to be a cracked piston. Hence why I'm still suggesting injectors being pop tested and compression test.

What I am saying is that there must be an electrical/mechanical way for the pump to shut three cylinders down. Isn't it possible that one of the valves needed to shut down a cylinder may have a problem? If the VP had no way to shut down any cylinders then I would say no way.

• Owner

3 cylinder mode is done by telling the ECM not to fire. So the electrical pulse is not present. So the solenoid slaps closed and no fire is give for said cylinder. Then next cylinder the solenoid is fed a signal to fuel. Mostly the ECM that does this. As far as I know there is no way for the VP44 PSG unit to do drop cylinders on its own.

Still in all pop testing and compression test are much cheaper than a VP44 replacement.

3 cylinder mode is done by telling the ECM not to fire. So the electrical pulse is not present. So the solenoid slaps closed and no fire is give for said cylinder. Then next cylinder the solenoid is fed a signal to fuel. Mostly the ECM that does this. As far as I know there is no way for the VP44 PSG unit to do drop cylinders on its own.

Still in all pop testing and compression test are much cheaper than a VP44 replacement.

I certainly do agree that pop testing is the next step and the least expensive route to go, but since you are saying there are solenoids in the VP there is a possibility (however slight) that there is something wrong with one.

I certainly do agree that pop testing is the next step and the least expensive route to go, but since you are saying there are solenoids in the VP there is a possibility (however slight) that there is something wrong with one.

I like your thinking here, but if the solenoid were to be "messing up" I don't think it would only be on one cylinder. I would have more cylinders misfiring. Pop testing is free through DAP because they are under warranty, but I think my luck has run out. This misfire started VERY small and slight almost not able to notice over the summer and has slowly gotten worse. I got the egts really hot once messing around with my brother and I think that's what did it

well,  if this is any help;    it went from   'maybe a miss, not sure which cylinder'   to   a    DANG,    IT'S SHAKIN THE TRUCK APART'    type  symptoms.       :ashamed:     

It won't make it any easier on the  wallet to fix,   but   in a weird way,   it makes it  easier for  'me' (psychologically)   to dive  deeper into an engine.    

Can anyone hear the "mission impossible'  theme playing in the background?      The man needs  his truck  for  Thanksgiving next week...    

The  VP,     there is  3 modes????     normal 6 cylinder,     4 cylinder,  and  3 cylinder???  I was aware of the  3 cylinder mode.      And  the   solenoid  is needed  to operate each impulse for  'normal' delivery???    Dumb. Very dumb.      If they  needed  ANY REASON  for  shutting down    any amount of  cylinders,,   they should've  used the solenoid   to  BLOCK, OR  REDIRECT INTERNALLY   those  particular  cylinders'  impulse.   "NORMAL"   should've been   'nothing energized'. :duh:   I'm sure the path they took was  the cheapest.

Ah,  heck,  no sense on  debating  this now,  on a   pump design  that is  16 years old... 

well,  if this is any help;    it went from   'maybe a miss, not sure which cylinder'   to   a    DANG,    IT'S SHAKIN THE TRUCK APART'    type  symptoms.       :ashamed:     

It won't make it any easier on the  wallet to fix,   but   in a weird way,   it makes it  easier for  'me' (psychologically)   to dive  deeper into an engine.    

Can anyone hear the "mission impossible'  theme playing in the background?      The man needs  his truck  for  Thanksgiving next week...    

Since it is getting worse I'm pretty sure it is a cracked piston or valve or something internal that will cost way too much to fix! That's what happens when you don't look at the egt gauge I guess. If it is internal the truck will be parked until at least Christmas and possibly until spring depending on funds.  College is eating my money like there's no tomorrow  :cry:  30K + per year....

that compression tester is great for determining if you have a cracked piston or valve. Like i said for $30 it will at least work for your truck. I have had pretty good luck with mine and it seems to be accurate enough to tell you if you have a bottom end problem.

that compression tester is great for determining if you have a cracked piston or valve. Like i said for $30 it will at least work for your truck. I have had pretty good luck with mine and it seems to be accurate enough to tell you if you have a bottom end problem.

This is the second thing to do right after you get the injectors on their way. You will then know for certain if there is internal damage this way.

Well I've got everything ordered and on the way to do the compression test. Once again I'm not going to have the injectors tested if I find something internally wrong. There is no point in getting them tested now if there is a cracked piston or burn valve. As I said before these injectors probably have 500-1000 miles on them

• Owner

This is what's bad... People start doing the swapping of parts and never exactly know what had failed or failing and continue to install parts till its fixed. This is a very expensive method of repair. I'd rather invest money in a few tools and bench test properly and know without a doubt what has failed and deal with it properly than guessin'.