• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Strange hiking experience in the Sierras

JAG1

• Staff

Excuse me deej but I don't go around trying to hug the bears out in the woods. I don't think they'd take to that too well :lol: . Liked your post showing the poop size. Nice gun too.

IBMobile, sending you a pm. :smart:

Here is mine...some may recall my story when I first joined the forum.

0817090312.jpg

0817090313.jpg

0817091809.jpg

0926111556.jpg

...because of this experience, I find it difficult for me to find the true peace I once had camping in the woods.

Edited by hex0rz

• Staff

Do you have a link to this story?

Don't feel bad Anthony, once my wife an I came within 10 feet of a male Grizz in Canada. It was heart stopping because neither one of us saw the other till we were so close we startled each other. Bear stomped and you could hear him breathing heavily mixed with a growl. Heart pounding experience. look like monsters up close. We felt lucky that he ran away not us. Except he stopped, stood up on his hind legs showing his full size while he turned around to look at us. I thought we were in for it but he left us alone.

Edited by JAG1

Excuse me deej but I don't go around trying to hug the bears out in the woods. I don't think they'd take to that too well :lol: . Liked your post showing the poop size. Nice gun too.

IBMobile, sending you a pm. :smart:

Hahahahaha I'm usually more scared of them than they are of me,  ;)

• Staff

It was very cold that early morning, about 29-32 degrees F. compared to the mid afternoon, while hiking, of around 70 degrees. I thought how strange that sudden smell with no sound and nothing anywhere in sight. It was like natures warning since the smell was so strong.  Cougars are perhaps like cats so they have very little scent but, still it hit me like an alarm so I turned around. It was unmistakably something wild.

Before the smell it was like entering a strange untouched protected area with surpassing natural beauty. It enticed one to go further but also had a foreboding feel, like a place only belonging to the wild. Well protected from winter cold and winds because of the location of surrounding rock and close proximity to steep high mountains gave you a stronger sense that it was separate and one of the few places left untouched and never revealed to the rest of the world.  It Felt as if I was about to deeply infringe on an area I should not venture into. Continuing just a few more steps brought on the strong smell all around and then turned away. 

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Years ago, probably 5-7, there was a stretch of trail that a cat must have been living on. Everyone we hicked thru it when there was any moisture in the air it would smell like the cat was right there.

I will also find pockets of timber that smell of elk piss, very strong and very present... But it could be old.

Have an approx grid to the area?

Do you have a link to this story?

Don't feel bad Anthony, once my wife an I came within 10 feet of a male Grizz in Canada. It was heart stopping because neither one of us saw the other till we were so close we startled each other. Bear stomped and you could hear him breathing heavily mixed with a growl. Heart pounding experience. look like monsters up close. We felt lucky that he ran away not us. Except he stopped, stood up on his hind legs showing his full size while he turned around to look at us. I thought we were in for it but he left us alone.

The post was before the forum was converted. If Mike was able to retrieve it, it would be nice, otherwise, I could maybe take some time to recount the story if really interested. Still pretty vivid in my memory...

It was very cold that early morning, about 29-32 degrees F. compared to the mid afternoon, while hiking, of around 70 degrees. I thought how strange that sudden smell with no sound and nothing anywhere in sight. It was like natures warning since the smell was so strong.  Cougars are perhaps like cats so they have very little scent but, still it hit me like an alarm so I turned around. It was unmistakably something wild.

Before the smell it was like entering a strange untouched protected area with surpassing natural beauty. It enticed one to go further but also had a foreboding feel, like a place only belonging to the wild. Well protected from winter cold and winds because of the location of surrounding rock and close proximity to steep high mountains gave you a stronger sense that it was separate and one of the few places left untouched and never revealed to the rest of the world.  It Felt as if I was about to deeply infringe on an area I should not venture into. Continuing just a few more steps brought on the strong smell all around and then turned away. 

This is no coincidence...