• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

winter blend

Killer223

I`m a little confused about this whole topic... Granted the winters here in NE Oklahoma are considerable different from those of you up north, but why can`t you just run strait # 2 ULSD with a big shot of Howe`s diesel treat?? The idea of blending fuel seems odd to me.. I`m not even sure we have #1 down here.

The coldest temps I have ever seen here was -25 three years ago that lasted a couple of days.  I left my truck plugged in all night, and all day at work,, strait ULSD and never experienced any problems at all.

Its pretty common to be putting hay out with my tractors in the single digits for a good part of the winter, and I have never gelled, or seen cold filter plug ever.

• Like 1

Most areas of the country have #2 with anti gel additives blended at the fuel rack before it even gets delivered to the fuel station. Even at my families in Wyoming I've never seen #1or even a blend advertised at the fuel stations it's just a winterized #2. For the most part you really shouldn't need to add a specific anti gel unless your expecting unseasonably cold temps. I run an additive that provides added protection in the event of a cold snap, but the main reason I use it is for the added lubricity and anti corrosion inhibitors. For the most part fuel is pretty well winterized for the climate it is delivered in.

In western nebraska we have #2, blended, and #1. Nobody knows when they switch to blended or if they ever do ( had hundreds of diesels gelled last year with about every additive I know of). If you ask the people who work there, they just give you a dumb look

Im going to run no additive this winter and see what happens. I filled up this morning at the new maverick station and the pickup sat exposed with 30+mph winds and a high of 19 today. When I started it at around 6 tonight the pickup was idling really weird. But that might of been because I started it without using the intake heater.

Also im going to get multiple additives and gallon milk jugs and see what happens when they are exposed to the elements

Edited by mopartechnician
  • Like 3

Yah! wasn't today a kick in the teeth??

additives work tons better when put in the fuel loooongggg before needed! But like I've stated before, my fuel is coming from above ground tanks, and it's cold!!! The fuel you guys are getting is much warmer.. and possibly gives the additive a chance to work!

I remember last year, first week in Dec!!! Only thing in this part of the State was spark ignited engines!

The few places I've seen a #1/#2 blend it was advertised at the pump, just the same as it's advertised if they sell bio and what % they sell. Maybe it is not a requirement but I thougt it was. ThE link below is the place I get my fuel and gasoline from, the owner of the fuel stations also owns a large scale excavation/construction company and the man takes his fuels seriously! The place I work at buys off road fuel from them for our cranes and in all the nasty weather last year never had any gel issues and they never add anything to their fuels. It was a pretty good testament to their quality of winter blend but I still dose mine when the weather is forecasted to fall much below zero. Big difference between being out on the road and a stationary piece of equipment!

http://www.opoil.calls.net/fuels.php

Could all of this be simply the quality of fuel delivered in different regions?? I know alot of guys around here who drive diesel trucks, tractors, etc, and this problem is almost unheard of around here.

Makes me think if you treated the fuel you bought that was supposedly already treated and you still plugged up ... The fuel may have been crap to begin with??

Yah! wasn't today a kick in the teeth??

additives work tons better when put in the fuel loooongggg before needed! But like I've stated before, my fuel is coming from above ground tanks, and it's cold!!! The fuel you guys are getting is much warmer.. and possibly gives the additive a chance to work!

I remember last year, first week in Dec!!! Only thing in this part of the State was spark ignited engines!

Rancherman, you've gotta be getting a lot of condensation in your "above ground" tanks then IMHO!!!  More often it's suspended ice/slush and not gelled fuel that plugs filters.  Just saying of course.

Rancherman, you've gotta be getting a lot of condensation in your "above ground" tanks then IMHO!!!  More often it's suspended ice/slush and not gelled fuel that plugs filters.  Just saying of course.

I got no doubt about it! ^^^^ above ground tanks are terrible for keeping fuel in good shape. I've been looking into a 'sealed' type bladder system that lets the tank breathe, but the air that goes in or out is contained in another closed flexible 'bladder'.

• Like 1

I would also try to stay away from the fuel conditioners. Most of them and an alcohol product and will take out fuel injectors in a hurry. If you have to use one, make sure its still a petroleum product. Power service iirc is mostly alcohol where the Howes is still an oil.

according to Power service site they have no alcohol...

http://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-fuel-supplement-cetane-boost/

• Like 1

Power Service makes pretty good "hot" formulas for clearing gelled lines/filters. A friend used a partial bottle on his outdoor heating oil tank last winter when we were seeing record low temps and it was no where near the dose they recommended. None of their products add much for lubricity even though they are alcohol free so in that respect there are better products out there, but they do work as advertised.

So now that winter is upon us, What is everyone`s fuel stratagy going to be for the year?

Ordinarily I would`nt be too concerned, but I now have a remote unheated FW & PF installed on my truck, and not wanting to be on the butt end of a (I told you so ) joke ... I`m going to continue running the "Howes" at 128/1, and increase the 2 stroke from 200/1 to 128/1.

I guess it would be wise to periodically drain and sample the remote FW??

Oklahoma winters can be 45 degrees one day to -5 the next, then back to 32 the next week. So there is no way to plan ahead.

Edited by angus

• Owner

Continue like I have over the course of the last 12 years of ownership. Continue to buy fuel from a quality place that I know is up to snuff. Continue to add the 2 cycle oil to the fuel. Skip on adding any other additives. 12 years of ownership and still never gelled up. But I know what fuel station meet the requirement and which ones don't.

2q310t1.jpg

• Like 1

according to Power service site they have no alcohol...

http://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-fuel-supplement-cetane-boost/

Well aint that something! When I was managing an auto parts store in ND their sales rep came in and we talked for a while. He was the one that told me there was alcohol in it. Maybe he just didn't know what he was talking about.

All I know is I watched over a full winter season and whoever used the Howes had way less issues than the people who used the power service. I sold pallets of each product so I was really able to watch the effect it took with all of my different customers.