• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EGT Question

That's funny... I was in the same boat too after 7 years and 135k miles. I gave up on the BHAF not because the filter minder moved but, I was getting a bit worried about the discoloration of the filter media inside. The BHAF was starting to darken like the dirt was making that far. So for sake of my engine and the filters are cheap I replaced it.That is why I changed mine. My filter so

That is why I changed mine. AT $50 for the filter when I got my last one I figured about $5 per year for a good filter is pretty inexpensive.

• Like 1

So my truck is very close to yours… I do have a 5 speed, BHAF, and a 4” exhaust and tow a trailer that is about 9K. Most of my towing is at altitude and when I go up a steep grade in 5th it doesn’t take long at all for the EGT’s to climb to above 1200. I am very conservative in my approach to towing and will grab a gear to keep the temp at 1100 at the most. I could care less if the Yota passes me because I know at 100K that thing will be toast and mine will be running strong. I very seldom have to get below 4th. I do notice that just a little bit of throttle makes a big difference in EGT temp. In 4th going up a grade it the EGT’s start to climb, if I back off the throttle just a tiny bit I won’t lose MPH, but the EGT’s will go down. I drive more by the EGT gauge than the speedo. 

When I am just crusing on flat ground I try to keep the RPM’s right around 2100. That is just over 70MPH with the 3:54 gears. That seems to be the best compromise between speed and gas mileage.

My racing buddies go roaring past me sometimes but I get to Boise from Salt Lake only about 30 min behind them with way better mileage and never blow a trailer tire. This is a big picture thing for me. I want this truck to last. So your idea of slowing down a bit isn’t a bad option. 

• Like 2

If you drop the RPMs below 2000 while running down the road you will see a marked increase in fuel mileage. With mine towing my fiver I normally see 10MPG at 70, 12MPG at 65, and as high as 14MPG if I keep it below 60. Also, keep in mind that if you are running ST tires on your trailer, they are all rated at 65 mph top speed. Something else I do is run about 5 psi higher than what the tires are marked at on the side. I used to pull drop deck trailers (15" tires) for one company and we used to cary two spares on each trailer because the blew out so often. I went to another company and they had no spares on their trailers. I aske about the reason for that and they said they were running 15 psi more than the sidewall number and they rarely had tire problems. I also pulled a lot more oversize loads with them too. They were correct, even being over 34,000 on the trailer tires rarely did we have tire problems!

• Like 1