• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AirDog 150 in cold weather

Now you know why I've got my AirDog tucked right behind the transfer case trying to keep the cold wind off the filters.

30c2j3b.jpg

I have mine in the same spot.

Do you run #1 with no issues? I normally run #1 with 2 cycle oil and never had an issue. But like I said this is my first year with airdog.

Edited by Mailboxperry

If you are having this problems gelling/freezing up.  Push the truck back into a heated shop.  Let it set over night.  First drain the fuel water separator filter well to remove any possible water that may have accumulated in it.  Then figure how much fuel in is the tank and mix in 10% kersosene.  Start the truck up and run it long enough to ensure that you have pushed the treated fuel through the entire fuel system.  The fuel water separator needs to be regularly drained especially and more frequently in cold weather. 

On edit for clarification:

This includes not only the fuel water separating filter on the Air Dog but also the OEM fuel filter/water separating canister on the engine if you still have it or are using it.  I still route my fuel from the Air Dog through the OEM fuel canister for the purposes of routing it through the fuel heater. 

Edited by LiveOak
  • Like 1

I would suspect ice now, or bio fuel remnants. You probably have most of the h20 in or around the filters by now. Unless you got a load of crap fuel...

I've taken filters in the house over night, warmed them up (upside down) and it still doesn't work very well. dang moisture really is imbedded in the paper. I have had luck refilling those thawed filters with 911. Warning... it'll stink up the house! Maybe out in the garage under a heat lamp.. (careful there too)

Might have to sacrifice a filter to 'see' what's in there! Grainy type material will be the suspended water, (unless it got thawed in your heated garage and refroze.. then it'll be solid chunk..

Whiter flakey material should be the wax, and butter colored will be the bio fuel

Either of these will kinda look like ice, but will NOT melt in the palm of your hand. They will dissolve when it's a tad warmer, maybe 120-130 degrees.

Edited by rancherman

If it appears or you think you have ice in your filters to the point that it has obstructed the fuel flow, I agree with rancherman to replace your filters in addition to treating the fuel as above.  If for some reason you are not able to change filters due to location or availability, you can add isopropyl alcohol to your fuel.  Isopropyl alcohol is soluble in both diesel fuel and water and will in the proper amount added melt any ice in the filters as well as solubilize any water present. 

Whenever I got a bad fuel sample on preflight, rather than panic and dump the entire 360 gallons of JP-8, I or the crew chief would continue to draw fuel from the sample sump into the fuel came out clean.  I suggest you do the same on your diesel fuel water separating fuel filter.  In addition to the above. 

I have drained the separator every time it gels to look for water. I never see any water. This morning I drained some diesel out of it and sat it outside in the cold. It got cloudy real fast. It never did gel or get thick but did cloud over. I'm just going pump the tank out, new filters, and top off with 100% #1 and be done with it. If that doesn't work trade it off. lol

Don't forget, water won't drain out if it's below freezing!! (You probably know that!!)

On the other hand, what would you take for that hunk of junk that won't even run???? LMAO

Like I've said many many times: 'even advertised as 'blended, or winterized'.. you atill are dealing with the 'first batch' of the season. God only knows the real truth of what's being pumped! Hopefully by next month, fuel quality will be better.

Well did cleaned out my system and put new filters on. Topped off with number 1 and cant get above 12 psi. It sits right at 11psi. So thought maybe my guage was the issue. Took the truck over to the local diesel shop and had them test it. At idle they got 11.75psi and at 2000 rpm they got 10.5 psi.

Well did cleaned out my system and put new filters on. Topped off with number 1 and cant get above 12 psi. It sits right at 11psi. So thought maybe my guage was the issue. Took the truck over to the local diesel shop and had them test it. At idle they got 11.75psi and at 2000 rpm they got 10.5 psi.

In the event that you did not realize, AirDog pumps are guaranteed for life PROVIDED you registered your pump when you got it new.  Sounds like your pump may have either ingested some crud from some sub par diesel fuel or the pump assembly is shot.  There are provisions to adjust the pressure but if your pump pressure was set properly at the beginning (I am assuming it was) then unless something is afoul in your pump, it should still be around 18 psi.  Call Airdog and make a warranty claim even if you forgot to register your pump when you got it new.  If by chance you bought it from someone used or already installed on the truck from another owner, the life time warranty does not transfer IIRC.  Still contact Airdog and find out what they can do for you if it turns out that have already opened up the intake to the pump and found no debry or crud. 

Air dog told me they run into this problem a lot. They gave a number to a shop in North Dakota. This shop makes parts to plumb engine coolant to the air dog pump. It's pretty expensive. They told me filter heater wraps should do the trick.

That would explain why my pressure would go down in the cold with my Raptor last year. Even running straight #1 it would drop about 4-5 psi in the cold. I really only had the problem when it was colder than -20 though. (which was every single night for 2 months!!!)