• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Battery Drain

Well draw went from 0.5A to less than 0.2ma engine off after alternator pulled.

going to get it bench tested

That was what your posts were pointing to. I am glad you got it figured out! Just make sure that the new alternator puts out less than .1 volt AC.

• Like 1

So just got the alternator installed after they couldn't source a unit till after thanksgiving and then the one arrived tested bad.

Installed it ...... still a 0.5A draw.  :ahhh:  I tried to grab a video but pretty dark ......... I'll upload as I can ...... ideas ?

So just got the alternator installed after they couldn't source a unit till after thanksgiving and then the one arrived tested bad.

Installed it ...... still a 0.5A draw.  :ahhh:  I tried to grab a video but pretty dark ......... I'll upload as I can ...... ideas ?

So, you are saying the alternator they got in tested bad and you installed it? Am I reading your post right? You don't have any other wire going to the 140A fuse, correct?

Always have the alternator bench tested before you leave the store. I've heard this so many time to come home install their new alternator and find they got another bad alternator.

It was bench tested as good at store. I had to wait and extra 2 days as the 1st one they sent bench tested bad. This one I installed was tested good.

The black wire that you are saying is a ground off the fuse is the wire that goes to the big terminal on the alternator. Now here is what I would like you to do. On the one side of the alt. fuse there are two wires. Pull BOTH wires off the fuse and check the amp draw on ehch wire individually. The was it is set up you are checking the alternator and what ever the other wire is going to. You need to separate them to isolate which wire has the draw on it.

Not sure if I followed exactly ...... but removing ALL the wires on the ALT fuse (both sides) showed me that there was still 05.A draw between the battery and the ALT fuse terminal posts (no wires either side) when bridged with battery. So no wires connected on either side of the alt fuse terminals posts ........ bridging from battery to EITHER of the empty posts had 0.5A draw.

If you pull all the wires then test to the fuse the problem is in or on your 140A fuse. There is some way for the voltage to be leaking to ground. Either it is internal (not likely) or external.

If you pull all the wires then test to the fuse the problem is in or on your 140A fuse. There is some way for the voltage to be leaking to ground. Either it is internal (not likely) or external.

Not sure what you mean. That theres a problem with the 140A fuse itself ??  How would that place a draw on a circuit if the components have been removed.

Then pull each fuse one at a time and measure amp draw across each fuse socket you pull out.

But we are talking about the 140A fuse circuit for the alternator. If all the wires are removed from both posts ...... can anything else be linked ???? Unclear here also. 

From the alternator fuse everything else is powered in the PDC so I would pull one fuse and probe each fuse socket with the amperage meter. When you find the socket drawing the heavy load then you at least know what circuit. Then after the PDC then move to the in-cab fuse panel.

attachicon.gifPDC.png

attachicon.gifpdc1.png

ha !! Your guys are killing me .... need a dumbed down explanation.

Are you saying that the alternator fuse not only protects the alternator circuit .... but the entire PDC as well ?

I want to understand why with everything disconnected from ALT circuit there is something still able to draw on that circuit ........ so Im guessing that has to be the case and also the reason your saying to pull other fuses ?