• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gotta A Noise Happening

dorkweed

• Owner

I do the same thing.

But, Lindy down at the shop tends to lift the vehicle off the floor and then leave the return line off and engine off. Then pan the steering from left to right several times till empty. Then hook up the return line and then fills it back up with fluid. Then pan the steering slowly with the engine off and purge the system of air. Then its ready for starting up. But this is generic method for all vehicles.

• Like 1

• Staff

I have done it both ways on my 05. First time I did it I pulled the return line from the pump and plugged the reservoir and then kept the reservoir full as I ran the truck and ran the wheel stop to stop.

The second time I pulled the lines off the cooler and let it gravity drain and turned the wheels stop to stop, then refilled and started.

I got about the same amount of fluid out both ways, but I do think the method of pulling the return line is better and the first time I did it I wanted all the OEM fluid out. This last time was just a drain and fill, so it was easier to not mess with the return line.

Noise seems to be temperature dependent guys.  Today is almost 50* and from a cold start today, there's no sound.  Yesterday was a bit colder (about 35*) and I heard when I first started my truck.....................had several errands to run where I shut the truck down for a few minutes at each stop.....................when I got home, walking in front of the truck to open my garage, I didn't hear the sound.

I also checked the PS fluid level....................right where it should be.................I used Amsoil the last time......................don't have any here now.

is it a  buzzing  noise...  like  hydraulic  buzzing??   Changes  when you turn the  steering wheel?? 

Mine  does it  just before  the  pump  goes bad.  3x  now in   5 yrs.     I've often wondered if  my priority valve is   bad,   and either   over pressures or  over flows  the system.   my  return line  is  always  pretty dang hot. 

Changing the fluid more often  has  helped.

Edited by rancherman

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!!

Finally warm enough today to spend time and pull the serpentine belt and run the truck minus the belt.  Well, the noise is totally gone.  Inspected all the pulleys again;  and all seemed fine except for the fan clutch.  All spun free and easy (alternator, water pump, tensioner, idler, balancer, AC and PS) even the viscous fan clutch;  but if I grabbed the fan itself at 3 and 9 o'clock, it would rock back and forth about 1/4-5/16" at the clutch itself and the mounting nut.  That would make it seem to me that the bearing is going out, correct???  This is movement I can see looking down while rocking the fan.  It's not the fan blades deflecting.

I'm going to give it a shot of some white lithium grease and get it back together for now.

What say y'all??

hey,  before you  button it back up...     why don't you knock off the   fan and  thread the belt back up... just to  make sure it was the  clutch... 

Sometimes  a  pulley  that isn't under  tension (lack of belt)   will   'sound fine'   when spun by hand..

• Like 1

hey,  before you  button it back up...     why don't you knock off the   fan and  thread the belt back up... just to  make sure it was the  clutch... 

Sometimes  a  pulley  that isn't under  tension (lack of belt)   will   'sound fine'   when spun by hand..

Got her all buttoned back up before I got back here............sorry.

Well guess what now.........................had to clear codes with the Smarty because of running her without the belt................................did that, started her up, and the noise is back...............................shut her down....................................checked to see if that deflection is there; and it was................................ but now the fan spins freely when I give a spin......................at least 3-4 revolutions now, whereas before it would only go 1/2 a revolution.

I would surmise that my rocking the fan clutch back and forth around under there did something, hey???  It also makes a slight grinding/squeaky noise while I do this.....................speeded up would sound very similar to the noise I've been hearing.

Edited by dorkweed

ANOTHER UPDATE!!

Checked the truck several times today.  The fan now will start out somewhat stiff (normal);  but if I keep trying to "spin" it, it will loosen up and freewheel with that slight grinding/squealing noise I mentioned prior.

In hindsight, I do believe that this fan clutch hasn't been working for quite sometime now.  I've not heard the "roar" of the fan with the AC on for a long while, and the AC doesn't blow cool sitting in traffic.  AC does work fine going down the road though.  Thought I was just low on refrigerant.

• Staff

Right after this thread started mine started the squeaky metal rub sound. Must be Virus.

I thought it was the belt tensioner pulley but I changed it and the squalling noise is getting worse while sitting at idle. Most important to check the water pump before any damage occurs to the radiator. Just replace it every so often is best. Be doing that today.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Dorkweed, don't see how it could be your fan clutch. My other trucks got over 400 k still on the original. If your not sure it's cheaper and good maintenance to change water pump. Doin mine in the next hour so.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

You should get a soft code when the fan is failing and not reaching the desired rpms. I rarely ever hear mine, even at 215° ECT but the Smarty a Touch shows me fan rpms and it works.

I vote OEM on cooling system stuff. I wonder if it's available thru Cummins or just Mopar.

You should get a soft code when the fan is failing and not reaching the desired rpms. I rarely ever hear mine, even at 215° ECT but the Smarty a Touch shows me fan rpms and it works.

I vote OEM on cooling system stuff. I wonder if it's available thru Cummins or just Mopar.

John, I believe the bearing in the thing is going out and that's what causing the noise.  As I typed prior;  if I look down at the fan clutch between the shroud and upper hose, then grab the fan at 3 and 9 o'clock then rock the fan back and forth toward the engine and radiator...................I see the fan clutch unit move in relation to the mounting nut where it screws onto the fan pulley.

Does that make sense???

No codes............yet.

This just started around the time I started this thread.