• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Airdog quality

That's  a heck of  a  groove  for only 2 days!

just how hard is  that ball..    would  a fingernail leave a  dent?  or  does it  bounce back  (LOL<  don't destroy it finding out!) 

That  flat portion sure could act like a  cork   especially  when  the aluminum  chills  down    for the night..  which would   shrink down on the ball.. 

I'd bet that is  what is  making the  groove in the first place..    The   growing and  shrinking of  the aluminum     acting on a   static ball.

Like cbrew  noted,   the  ball  "should be off the  seat"  during operation.     There might be some  rattling around of the ball  when   fluid if  flowing past too.  Plus   any impulses  felt  from  IP.    

If that ball is  really light weight,  it'd  flutter a lot more than steel..   but  would need a  stainless  seat  for it to  work against.

Sounds  like another  potential  part to offer in a  kit for these pumps!    Seals, bearings,  ball and  spring.

• Like 1

That's  a heck of  a  groove  for only 2 days!

just how hard is  that ball..    would  a fingernail leave a  dent?  or  does it  bounce back  (LOL<  don't destroy it finding out!) 

That  flat portion sure could act like a  cork   especially  when  the aluminum  chills  down    for the night..  which would   shrink down on the ball.. 

I'd bet that is  what is  making the  groove in the first place..    The   growing and  shrinking of  the aluminum     acting on a   static ball.

Like cbrew  noted,   the  ball  "should be off the  seat"  during operation.     There might be some  rattling around of the ball  when   fluid if  flowing past too.  Plus   any impulses  felt  from  IP.    

If that ball is  really light weight,  it'd  flutter a lot more than steel..   but  would need a  stainless  seat  for it to  work against.

Sounds  like another  potential  part to offer in a  kit for these pumps!    Seals, bearings,  ball and  spring.

It does leave grove from finger nail for a while, in the name of since knife cuts right through it too. FASS was nice and send me two new balls and springs. so I now have one new ball in FASS and one spear. So far pressure is steady.

post-1102-0-72647400-1423267720_thumb.jp

here are bearings and seal for AD150 Bearing is same OD but ID seems a bit lose when I slid it on the shaft, maybe shaft gets bigger where bearing sits, I haven't pulled bearings off yet. Maybe part numbers don't completely match, AD is 608RS and the ones I got are 608 2RS. They are skate board bearings. Seal is identical to AD even says tiwan on it. Also here are filters that were on it, about 5k on them ff looks a bit dirty but separator looks new, but in between clits there were few small pieces of leafs and dirt. That means they had to go through the gear rotor !!!

edit: bearings are too lose in ID by about .0015 they slide right on and don't have to be pressed on. I'll have to find out if rs and 2rs is what makes the difference. Seal worked.

Edit: so I looked at other bearings and none of them fit tight on shaft, AD must have something made special for them. So I reused old bearings, they were still in good shape. Seal and o-rings worked. I have not tried it yet. Has anyone used FASS fuel separator FS2001 on AD150? Treads are same oring looks to be same, not sure why it wouldn't work.

post-1102-0-66475800-1423268158_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-04893600-1423268324_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-86311500-1423268340_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-76842400-1423268352_thumb.jp

Edited by Dieselfuture

Not sure what to do next here, I assembled it back with old bearings. I changed 3 orings and put in a seal. Behind seal there is an oring also so with new seal I put new seal in first, then oring (not sure why it's there in first place), then I made a shim that fits snug between oring on top of the seal and before waive washer. This way seal is riding in new place on shaft, I also put grease inside the seal so it might help with life of it and aid in grooving shaft. This might be hard to picture, but if you tear it apart it will make since. Where I'm going with this, is I'm not sure how we'll come up with rebuilt parts if bearings are special. But everything else seemed to work. Maybe someone will find right bearings for this thing.

So you couldnt make the new bearings work? I checked with SKF (they are a vendor of the company that I work for) and that said that the 608rs and 608-2rs should be the exact same dimensions. Did you happen to take measurements off the shaft or the old bearings? I could always just go and measure my pump. Its still apart on the bench.

I am still having one problem with my pump though. That wavey washer came out in pieces. Any idea where I could get another? I wonder if I could find one at a hardware store. Maybe I can find a light spring to put in there to accomplish the same thing?

Well the issues I was having totally went by the way side. Been running like a champ, even at 5 o'clock this morning when I lit the ol girl off at -13 wihout being plugged in to go pull some yayhoo in a Ford out of the ditch just up the road from me. Pump is back to running EVERYTIME I hit the key (was having to tap on the motor to get it going about 50% of the time) and pressure is steady again (was having issues with fuel pressure creeping up to about 25psi). Just plain weird.

So you couldnt make the new bearings work? I checked with SKF (they are a vendor of the company that I work for) and that said that the 608rs and 608-2rs should be the exact same dimensions. Did you happen to take measurements off the shaft or the old bearings? I could always just go and measure my pump. Its still apart on the bench.

I am still having one problem with my pump though. That wavey washer came out in pieces. Any idea where I could get another? I wonder if I could find one at a hardware store. Maybe I can find a light spring to put in there to accomplish the same thing?

No new bearings are a bit bigger in ID by about .0015-.002 so the bearing fell right on without being pressed, and I tried several brands of 608 they all did same thing. Guy at BDI Bearings took some measurements and said that 608 should work but obviously didn't, he said call manufacture and find out if they had them made special for them. So yea screw AD I'm not calling them ever again as last time they basically told me ... I did took the measurement of shaft but forgot to wright it down. All I remember is my gauge on caliper was about 1-2 thousands off.
  • Like 1

Wow! AirDog changed there Water separator design. It was a steel mesh filter...

1zd4vns.jpg

Last I heard old water separators with plastic drain were bad design, and new ones had metal wing nut. But I would prefer the old one myself just wash it out with some gasoline and put it back on. Unless the outside rots away.

Ok small update on my new FASS 150 I got through CPP. No problems with pump except that I had to modify spring and put new ball in, pressure is steady at 18-19 and only fluctuates 1/2psi at full throttle with my fuel basket mod. But what I want to mention is that I ordered extra fuel filter for FASS and received wrong one for older stile FASS, and it wasn't even a filter but water separator, after being on hold several times for 15-20 min they said that they will ship the right filter 2weeks went by I called them again and after20 min on hold told someone else about what happened and they said someone will call me, a week later no call no filter. Just throwing it out there.

Wow! AirDog changed there Water separator design. It was a steel mesh filter...

1zd4vns.jpg

mine is  about 2 years old,  and is  paper..      Not  the  thing to draw    fuel through  when it's  -10  out!    I wonder if   they  still at least  'offer' the steel mesh?  (as a  replacement part)

Ok small update on my new FASS 150 I got through CPP. No problems with pump except that I had to modify spring and put new ball in, pressure is steady at 18-19 and only fluctuates 1/2psi at full throttle with my fuel basket mod. But what I want to mention is that I ordered extra fuel filter for FASS and received wrong one for older stile FASS, and it wasn't even a filter but water separator, after being on hold several times for 15-20 min they said that they will ship the right filter 2weeks went by I called them again and after20 min on hold told someone else about what happened and they said someone will call me, a week later no call no filter. Just throwing it out there.

So was it CPP or Fass that made the error? I was thinking of doing some business with them as they are only about an hour from me.