• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Poor Performance on a 24 valve.

Guest 04Mach1

Guest 04Mach1

I just borrowed a buddies Snap-on scanner that seen the codes and I cleared them. I'll check out the wastegate and monitor for codes. Thanks for the help. Truck seems a little better since I cleared the codes.

• Owner

Still doesn't resolve the mechanical issue. Boost is really easy to build on these truck so when the boost rises above 20 PSI the fueling map starts to defuel. So not having a proper module with boost fooler your going to see P0234 codes. But its still wise to have working wastegate. You don't want to over rev the turbo charger and do damage. For HX35W 35 PSI is about as far as you can go with it and then your drive pressure starts rising or in other words you hit your choke point.

Guest 04Mach1

Yeah. I'm gonna get the turbo gasket kit from Cummins Rocky Mountain or Napa depending on availability asap and repair or replace turbo. I might check with ATS to see if they have any used HY35 or HX35 turbos if replacement has to be done. I know the HX is a little slower to spool since my 12v has the HX.

Guest 04Mach1

I just bought the turbo on eBay. If I'm able to fix the wastegate on my current turbo I will have a spare since a quick google search revealed this is a very common problem with our turbo.

• Owner

The only reason it common is because people baby the truck too much and never actually open the wastegate. So the wastegate rust into position. Where I live in the rust belt I never had a issue being I keep the engine bay washed out and tend to tickle the wastegate now and then as I watch the boost gauge hit 35 PSI and bounce then settle back at 35-36 PSI.

Just a thought.  This won't fix the waste gate problem but it may make it pretty much irrelevant.  Rather than remove or replace the turbo, see if you can find a used Edge EZ or a boost fooler.  This will prevent the overboost codes from being set and the defueling taking place as a result.  You should see a noticeable improvement in performance, drivability, and fuel mileage with a few minutes worth of work on your part installing one or the other. 

Guest 04Mach1

I would just leave the turbo as is but it is the wife's daily driver. That being said I want it to stay very stock. My daily drivers are my 2004 Mach 1 and my old '78 F150 4x4. The 12v is in New Mexico with my father at this time.

I have never even looked at the wastegate setup on mine.

Is it possible to move it by hand to see if its stuck/sticky without dissassembly.

Mine is a bit lazy at low speed and shows 0 or low boost when coasting along.

Sorry for hijacking thread.

Chris.

X2 here..  (not the hijacking part)    Something  a guy needs to  check  periodically!

Guest 04Mach1

Just an update... Since clearing codes there hasn't been any codes return. I replaced the fan clutch, wow truck is quieter now. My butt dyno feels says the truck is running better. Next on the list is to either free the waste gate or swap turbos. Oh and fuel mileage last tank was 15.8 mpg, best I've seen so far from this truck.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 04Mach1

I think the over boost code was a fluke. I have been driving the truck hard and the code hasn't come back.I haven't messed with the waste gate yet. My next investment for this truck is a pyro and boost gauges to match my fp gauge, Autometer Cobalt.