• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Maintenance

Guest 04Mach1

Guest 04Mach1

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to pull the valve cover and see if there is anything noticeable. I just changed the oil and am monitoring the level closely.I don't have hard starts or any abnormal combustion noise indicating injector issues. Wish I had records for the 86k miles prior to my ownership.

Guest 04Mach1

Woohoo.. Finally got my 2001 fired up again since the latest below 0* cold snap. I'm starting to regret the airdog as this is the second time she's gelled this year. This time it took 16 oz. 911 and fuel filters to get her going. I got a FF5324 and FS19594 from the local MHC Kenworth for $15 out the door. Sure beats Airdogs price of $50+ for their filters.

Well darn it. I did an oil analysis because I noticed the oil grew about a quart on the dipstick. Just as I suspected there is likely an internal fuel leak. I'm hoping it's just o-rings on the injectors. OA showed <0.1 soot, 9.6 TBN, VISC 10.6@100*C and 68@40*C. Oil has 12800 miles. Low viscosity and making oil = fuel leak inside engine.

I want to know where you sent your oil to for the analysis so we can all avoid them. If they saw these numbers and did not do a fuel flash test to confirm fuel in the oil and just left you guessing what good is this company? I would have to let all know as top avoid them, this should be part of any quality analysis period............................... :duh:

Guest 04Mach1

I did it in house. No point in fuel flash since I'm obviously making oil which is evident by over full crankcase and thin viscosity. That is just a quick summary of issues I saw with the oil. We run wear metals as well contamination. All except viscosity within normal range.

Guest 04Mach1

What are your typical silicon levels in you UOA?

Iron=4, chromium=<2, copper=10, lead=<2, tin=<2, silicon=2, sodium=4, potassium=<2.

All readings in ppm (parts per million). Oil had 12,800 miles at the time of OA.

Guest 04Mach1

Not yet. Just been too cold and snowy to mess with it much. If it gets warm enough to melt the snow soon I'll yank the valve cover off and check it out. I hope it's an injector so I have a good excuse to upgrade to RV's.

• 4 months later...
Guest 04Mach1

It's been a while since I got on here. I recently switched jobs and now am a mechanic at a shipping company that has mostly CAT C7 and C13 engines.

Well I just finished putting RV275 injectors in. Wow... The nozzles on the stock injectors looked horrible. The internal fuel leak was on #6. Valves were a little tight so I also did a tune up. It's a lot quieter and smoother. Performance seems minutely better. There seems to still be a fueling / boost issue. Waste gate is not stuck like I thought. She starts to pull hard then loses it quickly. I am thinking I have a MAP sensor issue. I'll stop by the Cummins dealer tomorrow to get a MAP and IAT sensors. I cleaned both with no difference. An ASE master tech thinks it's ppossible a inaccurate MAP sensor could cause the issue I have.

• Owner
I cleaned both with no difference.

Cleaning sensors doesn't do any good to resolve any problem that is a Internet Myth. If a sensor is failed its failed and replacement will only fix it. I no longer suggest cleaning sensors because it doesn't resolve anything nor does it change readings.

It's been a while since I got on here. I recently switched jobs and now am a mechanic at a shipping company that has mostly CAT C7 and C13 engines.

Well I just finished putting RV275 injectors in. Wow... The nozzles on the stock injectors looked horrible. The internal fuel leak was on #6. Valves were a little tight so I also did a tune up. It's a lot quieter and smoother. Performance seems minutely better. There seems to still be a fueling / boost issue. Waste gate is not stuck like I thought. She starts to pull hard then loses it quickly. I am thinking I have a MAP sensor issue. I'll stop by the Cummins dealer tomorrow to get a MAP and IAT sensors. I cleaned both with no difference. An ASE master tech thinks it's ppossible a inaccurate MAP sensor could cause the issue I have.

Also check all the boost lines and boots. I had a boot clamp that was going bad and did not loose boost till over 11 lbs.

Guest 04Mach1

I did new couplers and t-clamps when I first bought the truck. I also replaced the o-ring on the elbow on the turbo. I don't think I have boost leaks. I have a new MAP sensor that I'll get put in this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, then you are saying he cannot have a fuel leak that is getting into the oil? The fuel is getting in somehow.

There are only two ways to be oil into the diesel, the front seal of the vp, or you got a bad injector o ring, or the o ring is torn, sitting up, there is another copper o ring inside.

The fuel in the return of the head is at low pressure and if your head was cracks you would see it.

I have seen front seals fail on vp pumps, and I've seen injector o rings fail from being forced in.