• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fass electric heater in an Airdog?

Has anyone put one of the Fass electric heater kits in an Airdog FP-100? It looks like it will screw in next to the supply line from the tank above the water separator. With my Airdog exposed under the truck, even with anti-gel additive, it will gel up driving down the road.

It was -17 this morning and I made it about 1.5 miles to the store fine. I left it running and ran in for 3-4 minutes and when I got back in it started loping real bad and I noticed the fuel pressure was Zero. I shut it down, then limped it around to the back of the building out of the way so I could deal with it after it warmed up some. I finally got the fuel flowing about 2:00 PM and got it home.

The Fass electric heater can be run to a toggle switch inside the cab and turned on manually when needed. The heating element senses the temperature and will shut it off when necessary also. I'm hoping I can mount it in the hole next to the supply line from the tank and not affect the operation of the Airdog in any way.

The other option I was looking at was the WVO small filter heater wrap. It's much less money, but it pulls a lot of amps.

Please tell me the Fass heater will work....

This won't answer your question, but do you think you could build a new mount for the pump? One similar to the fass where it is tucked up and mounts to the bed? -15 here and haven't had my brother's CR with the fass get yet  :pray:

• Owner

I'm up here with -20 to -25*F for cold and no hoses insulated. The only thing I've changed since the replacing the old blue hose for the new black is I ran my supply line up through the frame. Pump is mounted right behind the transfer case so its out of the cold wind as much as possible. I kept my stock fuel filter and fuel heater for this reason. Also the stock filter can will absorb heat from a 190*F block aiding in heating the fuel. The fuel returned to the tank will be warm too.

Which part of the country are you in? What are you using for an anti gel? Even in Ohio where its not known to get extremely cold we saw several days last year of temps similar to yours and colder and never had any gel issues. I only added an antigel on the days where it was forecasted to be -15 or colder and no problems. I'm wondering if it's a fuel issue more so than your set up.

If I lived in an arctic climate I'd look at something like these. Not sure how good an inline heater would work as the filter is the first place to gel.

http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/fuelfilterheater.php