• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Starting to mod my 2010 Hemi.

Just found a good deal on a slightly used Bully Dog GT tuner for my 2010 Hemi, got it for less than half of new and it was only used for a few months as the guy traded his pickup in and kept the tuner.

http://www.bismanonline.com/bully_dog_gt_for_hemi_vehicle_tuner_and_multi_gau/?app_track=member_message

o_da0cf1ed3b2e89f5bf2d61deb07b3efe.jpg

Am also looking at the best option for a limited slip carrier for the rear end as well, never in my life have driven a vehicle this long without a limited slip of some sort in the rear and this thing has driven me crazy long enough so hopefully I will have one locked down in a few weeks once I decide the best bang for the buck for it.

Wnf. I am a big fan of the trutrac torque biasing diff.

I put one in my 97 and it was great. It wasn't a true locker, but it handled great on snow and pavement as it would put torque to the tire with the most grip.

Ino my experience, gassers usually don't get significant gains without hard parts. Mainly because the engine is tuned for the right mixture already.

Headers and a tune used to be a good mod, but I recall reading that the factory manifolds on the 5.7 were pretty decent.

Edited by CSM

Just pull the cover off the differential and get in there with a welder! That will give you a real posi!!

Every diff I ever had in my demolition derby car days got that mod and it works awesome. :thumb1:

But yeah it is a bit extreme for a dder lol.

I want a LS unit not a locker of any sort. I am more a fan of the clutch type units and not the biasing or "active" units so to say.

I'm curious of the changes you get...

Wnf. I am a big fan of the trutrac torque biasing diff.

I put one in my 97 and it was great. It wasn't a true locker, but it handled great on snow and pavement as it would put torque to the tire with the most grip.

Ino my experience, gassers usually don't get significant gains without hard parts. Mainly because the engine is tuned for the right mixture already.

Headers and a tune used to be a good mod, but I recall reading that the factory manifolds on the 5.7 were pretty decent.

Over on Ram forumz the Bully dog seems to be the one to run with great results on the Hemi engines, they are capable of a lot more with tuning alone like our cummins versus the older gassers. The guy I bought it from says he ran it only on the highest setting only as long as he had it and he pulled stock trailers most of the time, he said it did make a noticeable difference in power and he gained 1-1.5 mpg overall just daily driving but he didn't know what the economy setting would do as he never ran it.

Over on Ram forumz the Bully dog seems to be the one to run with great results on the Hemi engines, they are capable of a lot more with tuning alone like our cummins versus the older gassers. The guy I bought it from says he ran it only on the highest setting only as long as he had it and he pulled stock trailers most of the time, he said it did make a noticeable difference in power and he gained 1-1.5 mpg overall just daily driving but he didn't know what the economy setting would do as he never ran it.

Thats great, as long as they are getting good longevity from it.  The new hemi is beyond my experience.  From what everybody has said the 5.7 is a great long lasting engine.  

Edited by CSM

Lots of guys around here are ditching the cummins in droves for the 6.4 Hemi as well if they do not tow heavy full time. If they are 50/50 work and drivers they are saving a lot of money versus the cummins from what I have been hearing from the oil field folks.

The 6.4 Hemi is a different animal with a ton of power for a gasser and getting pretty good mileage to boot, even GM and Ford diesel guys are jumping ship for these around here and loving them big time.

• Like 2

Going to sleep on it tonight but am leaning towards this rear end posi carrier. I have been around these in the past and have worked on a few and they are simple and durable and will work perfect for my needs and the price is right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yukon-DuraLock-Chrysler-9-25-12-Bolt-Posi-Limited-Slip-Differential-Extras-/261493245022?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2010%7CMake%3ADodge%7CModel%3ARam+1500&hash=item3ce236445e&vxp=mtr

http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=9643

$_57.JPG

Got the Bully Dog updated and loaded up and now in the middle of replacing the spark plugs on the Hemi, not a bad job at all, actually a lot easier than some older v-8 engines actually. Will get a feel for the "Regular" gas tune tomorrow and after I refill with premium again will load the "premium" gas tune. The thing is a lot like smarty as one can adjust the throttle sensitivity as well as many other settings, never had a tuner like this for a gasser but it offers a lot. Can set speed limits rev limits most annoying options like auto locks head light and accessory timers tire size shift point limits ect.

Has customizable gauges and can add 2 pyros to it as well, has driving coaching settings and safety temp settings for coolant and tranny has performance testing capabilities too. I can't believe how small this thing is too.

• Like 2

Plugs are in and it fired up and ran purred like a kitten again, had 45K miles on the plugs I pulled out. OEM recommends 30-40K changes so I got a good run from the NGK plugs it was missing under normal driving conditions I could hear it but didn't notice it power or performance wise and no CEL yet, went back in with champion plugs which is the only plug Chrysler recommends other than NGK. I had the dealer replace the first set at 35K while it was still under warranty just in caser something happened it would have been their baby.

I know from reading on other forums Bully Dog got a bad rap a couple years ago by charging Chrysler only users 250 bucks to unlock the units to be able to be used on other rigs but there was enough backlash and lawsuit threats they changed it back and dropped the charges again. They offer canned tunes as well as custom tunes depending on the unit one gets, I have the simpler one that has canned tunes with free online updates.

I read through dozens of Bully Dog threads over on RamforumZ and never saw any that addressed anyone with any issues of messed up ECM's from Bully Dog tuners. :shrug: , anything is possible, I had an ECM die on my 02 Cummins during download #2 with a Smarty.

After BD pulled that stunt most RamForumZ roamers decided to go with Diablo tuners instead the last couple of years. I went with this unit because it was less than a year old and I got it for less than half of new and it was already setup for a 2010 hemi and the previous owner had pretty good results from it. :thumb1:

:doh: Well went to work today and the miss is still there filled with new fuel and it didn't help either. I checked for codes when I got home and have 2 tranny related codes and after clearing them one still comes back but it shifts and drives flawlessly too, now I am beginning to get frustrated.

No CEL either.

P0734 / gear 4 incorrect ratio which is the one that came back.

P0933 / hydraulic pressure sensor range / performance, this code did not come back after test drive after clearing codes.

Just had it on regular tune didn't notice anything right off I drove easy as it was -24*F this morning and it still had the miss but now took it back to stock until I figure out these other issues.

:surrender: Gotta cave once in a while, had to make an appt. with the dealer to diagnose this one tomorrow afternoon. Way too many things that can cause this to just throw parts at without the proper diagnostic tooling.

Added a bottle of injector cleaner today and cleared the codes several times and the one that keeps coming back is the P0933 and have gotten the 4th gear ratio code once and then a separate time got 5th gear ratio code, it is also missing to the point it is affecting power now as well while driving under load but still no CEL or engine related codes. Gonna have to part with a bit of coin I guess. :spend:

Lucky for me I know the 2 pickup techs there really well and they know me really good as well and would never BS me so I have a huge plus on that note going for me, they are good techs so I don't worry about them doing a bad job, I just hate paying flat rate shop fees. Couple minutes worth of work you pay for 1/2 hour minimum plus the extras like disposal fees even if the never used a thing, someone has to pay for the coffee cups and TP I guess. :stirthepot: