• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brake lights stay on

I have had the issue of the brake pedal not returning all the way up against the stop on my 05, has actually been that way since I have owned it just took me a while to figure out why my cruise control would intermittently kick out on its own. Then I noticed a few times after exiting the cab my brake lights were still on and noticed my brake controller was lit as well that is when I found my pedal wasn't fully returning to full up position, sticks about 1/8 - 1/4 inch down from the stop where it needs to be to deactivate the switch. Just never took the time to crawl under the dash to see why yet, kinda made a habit of sticking my toe under the pedal and making sure it was up before getting out. lol. :ashamed:

Actually always forget about it when I am looking it over for things to do. :rolleyes:

I guess the red tabs were purely cosmetic because they did nothing, it was just a simple plug. Got the new one in and when I put the knee panel back on and plugged the trailer brake controller back in I noticed it lit up for a split second and now won't work at all. Always something!

our  2000  did  the same thing..  usually after a long day  of running.   It seemed to come on after the truck cooled down, ususally in the middle of the night.

I  just bent the bracket  a little  so  the  switch was   a little  closer to the  brake  pedal.       Been  good now for  a year.   (no more  jabs in the middle of the night:  "Honey,  the  Dodge is  all lit up outside"...)

I  just bent the bracket  a little  so  the  switch was   a little  closer to the  brake  pedal.       Been  good now for  a year.   (no more  jabs in the middle of the night:  "Honey,  the  Dodge is  all lit up outside"...)

Actually, IF you have the stock switch just push on the pedal and reach up to the switch and find the plunger. Pull the plunger out and release the pedal. That resets the plunger length and is the way to adjust it.

• Like 2

Mine worked fine most of the time and the pedal wasn't hanging. I guess is was just malfunctioning, probably wouldn't have noticed it but last time I pulled my gooseneck trailer, the brakes stayed on when I left a stop light so I just unplugged the controller.

Edited by 98whitelightnin

I have had the issue of the brake pedal not returning all the way up against the stop on my 05, has actually been that way since I have owned it just took me a while to figure out why my cruise control would intermittently kick out on its own. Then I noticed a few times after exiting the cab my brake lights were still on and noticed my brake controller was lit as well that is when I found my pedal wasn't fully returning to full up position, sticks about 1/8 - 1/4 inch down from the stop where it needs to be to deactivate the switch. Just never took the time to crawl under the dash to see why yet, kinda made a habit of sticking my toe under the pedal and making sure it was up before getting out. lol. :ashamed:

Actually always forget about it when I am looking it over for things to do. :rolleyes:

I had the same problem for a while. I finally replaced the switch. The old one would not stay adjusted.