Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see you lurking about Mopar1973Man.Com reading articles and reading other member's posts. Are you trying to solve a problem with your Dodge / Ram Turbo Diesel Cummins? We have lots of helpful members and staff on the Mopar1973Man.Com and are willing to give guidance on how to fix or improve your truck. Sorry, we are a subscription website now. We are not corporate owned like many of the other websites out there. Like Cummins Forum (VerticalScope Inc.). Mopar1973Man.Com is entirely privately owned and operated since 2004. Your subscription funds goes towards server maintenance and software maintenance. We happen to be one of the most friendliest and helpful websites  for Cummins Owners in the world. Come join us and register and then pick a subscription plan.

Recommended Posts

  • Administrator

Got a quick question about the air dog 100. My stock lift pump is going out and now im looking at putting the air dog 100 on my truck. My question is why do i need a pump that pumps a 100gmh?? Sounds like a bit of overkill to me.

A little bit explaination... Bosch's requirements is 70% fuel is to be return to the tank and only 30% burned. Ok... So how much fuel do we burn in the worse conditions? I've seen several times where my Scangauge is displaying high flow ration in the 20-25 GPH bracket with WOT operation. But typically cruising its between 2-10 GPH depending on load and grade. So now stock fuel system is approximately 25 GPH... Oh Wow! Stock system has no return with full load... No wonder the VP44 fail 100% is burned and nothing for cooling and lubing. Now step up to a AD 100 and your only burning 25% of the fuel and the other 75% is being returning for cooling and lubing purpose if you line pressure is above 14 PSI at WOT. (Which most AD system can do without thinking!). Mine with a AD150 is 17 @ idle and !5 @ WOT with Edge Comp on 5x5 and RV275 injectors. (really mild) Then the filter system there is a 140 micron pre-filter protecting the pump (which the stock pump just pump the trash along if there was metal in the fuel it would be pull into the motor magnets of the pump and chew itsself up being the pump was lubed by fuel. Then the output filter is a 2 micron compared to the 10 micron filter so now your VP44 is protected even better from debris and contaminates. Last but not least there is a lifetime warranty on AirDog, Raptor, and FASS so if the pump fails just have it replaced. (Remember to turn in your registration card! - Void warranty if you don't!)
Link to post
Share on other sites

A little bit explaination...

Bosch's requirements is 70% fuel is to be return to the tank and only 30% burned. Ok... So how much fuel do we burn in the worse conditions? I've seen several times where my Scangauge is displaying high flow ration in the 20-25 GPH bracket with WOT operation. But typically cruising its between 2-10 GPH depending on load and grade. So now stock fuel system is approximately 25 GPH... Oh Wow! Stock system has no return with full load... No wonder the VP44 fail 100% is burned and nothing for cooling and lubing.

Now step up to a AD 100 and your only burning 25% of the fuel and the other 75% is being returning for cooling and lubing purpose if you line pressure is above 14 PSI at WOT. (Which most AD system can do without thinking!). Mine with a AD150 is 17 @ idle and !5 @ WOT with Edge Comp on 5x5 and RV275 injectors. (really mild)

Then the filter system there is a 140 micron pre-filter protecting the pump (which the stock pump just pump the trash along if there was metal in the fuel it would be pull into the motor magnets of the pump and chew itsself up being the pump was lubed by fuel.

Then the output filter is a 2 micron compared to the 10 micron filter so now your VP44 is protected even better from debris and contaminates.

Last but not least there is a lifetime warranty on AirDog, Raptor, and FASS so if the pump fails just have it replaced. (Remember to turn in your registration card! - Void warranty if you don't!)

Hey,

Not to argue, but do you have that in writing somewhere??

I believe you, but I can see know people that would argue with that!!!!!!!!:ahhh:

Thanks,

Winslow

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator

I'm sure if I dug on CF.com for a couple of hours I might find the thread from way back when the VP44 problems started someone had a document of this but back then I never bother to keep (early years of my learning curve). But I'm sure its out there but finding it now would be tough. This way way back when the dealer was arguing volume / pressure standard and the TSB came out... (2001 or so...)

Ok let say for disclaimer reason its SUGGESTED... :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator

Found this line over on DodgeRam.Org

From the service manual "The VP44 is cooled by the fuel that flows through it. ... Approximately 70% of fuel entering the pump is returned to the tank through the overflow valve and fuel return line."

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator

If you got priming issues double check the quick connector on the sotck fuel sender its really common to suck air in here and never be wet. Alot of people omit the fitting and hose clamp diectly to the plastic nipple on the fuel sender.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...