• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mopar1973Man Looking for someone to do masonry.

Mopar1973Man

I'm a Gideon, oops I now see your looking for a masonary and not a missionary. Lol. Good luck.

Anchoring is one issue as set back is to allow for future movement behind the wall if you're trying to hold back soil.

Edited by joecool911

A few inches of 5/8 crushed rock behind the wall between the wall and the barrier cloth as backfill is an absolute must as well, never ever back fill directly behind the wall with dirt, one needs a drainage to not hold moisture during winter, frost heaves are what make most walls deteriorate and lean when not properly backfilled with 5/8 rock. I just had a landscaper build me several retaining walls in front of my house last year and he taught me a ton about this.

Yep, cinder block is not for "retaining" wall use would have been ok for free standing alone, there are specific types of block and glue just for retaining walls. The base and first layer of block is the most time consuming part of building a retaining wall, lots of time and labor into tamping and leveling, start with a good quality class 5 gravel that packs tight and then level with sand. Depending on how high the wall and what kind of moisture there is to drain the area behind it drain tile may be needed behind the wall as well.

You need to find someone with landscaping experience not masonry. :smart::2cents:

Still in all still trying to find someone to do the choir. Are you willing to build a wall? :wink:

Building the wall would be less trouble than "Doing the Choir". :lmao:  :lmao2:  :lol:

In all seriousness though find someone who specializes in this as it can be a safety issue not to mention the money and time to have to do it again and again.

• Staff

You could build it yourself with engineered stacked blocks. Good base is the hardest part. Then stack and backfill with gravel and dirt. Lay a drainline at the base.

I'm convinced about engineered stacked block as well. If it ever does fail it can be taken apart and reset if needed.

• Owner

This is why I'm posting up on the site I remember talking to gent that was in the Idaho state and did masonry work. I know there is other people like JAG1 on other that do home repairs and such. I admit I've got a strong abilities and then I've got my weak ones too. Blocks and walls are not one of my strong ones.

• Staff

Yep there is money in doing those walls. I get my 5/6 lb. sledge and beat the bottom course of blocks down into the gravel. I place a block of wood on top so as to not break the block. Then that tells you if you need to sprinkle a bit more gravel or take some out and beat on it again to get each one level, even and completely settled. It's a lot of work on the first course.

Once the first course is set it is like a cake walk to stack 'em. That kind of work helps keep you strong.

Around here it's Mutual Materials is the best to deal with on these blocks.

Edited by JAG1

I think the stacked wall concept is a better value than masonary work. Check with local wholesale suppliers of pavers and wall blocks for contractors in your area who are reputable. Good excavator operator is your friend. Do it in the summer when soil is dry. No need to pay guys to smear mud in all the joints of brick.

Edited by joecool911