• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Custom Quad Headlights w/ HID Bi-xenon Projectors

DOT approved and Legal I would assume..........hope.:2cents:

Unfortunately NO.... however with using Projectors I am effectively eliminating glare that would be produced by throwing hids in a stock headlight. the corrected output will result in safe lighting but the DOT/NHTSA does not approve the modification of OEM headlights. by the time I am done the stock housings will most likely be non existent, in which case it could be possible to get NHTSA approval but I have no idea what that involves at this time. As much money as I have shelled out in tooling don't be surprised if you start seeing new headlights with bi-xenon projectors on ebay/craigslist etc..

These E92 projectors originally came with D1S holders but we are going to use D2S bulbs. now the difference between a D1s and a D2s is the igniter is attached to the D1s bulb. since we are not using these we have to remove the holders and either procure some Bosch D2S holders or manufacture our own.

Posted Image

Next came a whole lot of measuring.

as you can see here I have the general outline of the headlight and strategic placement of the projectors lined up

Posted Image

I needed a Jig to hold the Projectors while I worked with mounting brackets, I basically wanted to bolt these two together to make it easier with alignment when I get the housings fab'ed up

Interestingly the inner Diameter of a 3" Abs pipe is the same diameter as the outside of the lens holder of the projector. although I did have to sand it a tad due to some inconsistencies of the pipe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next I needed to power the lights up so I can align them so after some reading I found you can power them up with a computer power supply in this case we are using a 400 watt in order to have sufficient power on our 12volt line.

jumper the green and one black lead in the ATX plug. then connect the red leads of the Ballast to the yellow wire of the HDD connectors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lighting output for Alignment. this is off my bedroom wall and no matter how good your camera is it will never show up right in a photo. plus the light is going through the pipe so its a narrow beam projected here

Posted Image

Nice... looks like a TON of work.

Thanks, and yea it is a bit of work initially. Since I will probably be producing more of these it will get easier.

Last bit of work I did for a while till I get my vacuum table built:

with the jig setup I then had some brackets to make out of some aluminum I had laying around.

mounting hardware

Posted Image

Posted Image

bottom

Posted Image

bolted together and lit up

Posted Image

next I will show my vacuum table build and then we will move onto the big part making Polycarbonate lenses and ABS housings.

• Like 1

bought the Projectors off ebay for $75/pair + $12 shipping. bought the HIDS from VVME for $77.90/pair misc nuts and bolts, sheetm metal $24.26

Any updates to the project??? :shrug:

still got more to come on this build, just waiting for my 9CFM 26Hg/in Vacuum pump to be delivered for my vacuum table that was $261 over at harborfreight.com which brings my tooling costs up to about $570. total parts cost before purchasing plastics: $370.99 so if I start selling these it will be very expensive for a quad setup like this but keep in mind this is a crap ton of light too. each bulb new outputs 3,200 lumens so in retrospect were pumping out 12,800 lumens compared to a sport headlight running as a quad beam which is if I remember just about 1,000 lumens on the 9007 bulbs and 780 on the 9006 bulbs = 3,560 lumens thats a difference of 9,240 lumens over 3 and a half times as much light output. so in reality the average owner will not need a quad setup like this but its definitely nice to have. Edited by dracozny

bought the Projectors off ebay for $75/pair + $12 shipping. bought the HIDS from VVME for $77.90/pair

I bought my wifes 55W 4300K HID's from VVME a couple months ago off feeBay. Those suckers are seriously bright and they aren't that aweful blue that only reflects certain colors like most HIDs.

all those blue and purple hids are 5000k and higher. for some stupid reason people are still hung up on the idea that the higher kelvin rating means they are brighter. or that they look cool. frankly driving around with purple headlights always seemed very stupid to me. I was thinking of setting up some 3000k fogs sometime down the road too. although running a quad beam setup I will have to run an either/or setup one one set when running fogs to keep the cops off my butt.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have a slight Snafu with my Project here. because I want to do a quad setup I will have to completely redesign the entire assembly. Originally I wanted to just replace only the headlight bucket and lens which I find will only be feasible on a normal two light setup. My other issue I am contimplating is the rubber flap that sits on the inner most part of the headlight between the lens and the grill. not sure what I want to do there. the hooks are obviously injection molded which would be very costly to reproduce. looking at the pics of aftermarket lights it appears they have done the same thing.on the other end I have purchased enough plastic to produce 12 sets of lights assuming I figure out what I want to do with the design.

• 2 weeks later...