Bought a re-fab Tablet... going back...

flagmanruss

I picked up an Acer Iconia A200-10g16u 10.1-Inch screen.  I'm not really into mobile devises...  several disabilities: hand function, sight, memory problems (from MS)  make just things challenging so this was my first foray.  I just wanted a simple devise to do show & tell with...   

It's a nice looking unit, I wanted to like it.  DANG!  I just couldn't keep it connected to home wireless.  Living room chair & dining table 1 bar at best & dropped connection.  Wife has 4 bars on her Samsung anywhere in the house...  even out in the driveway!  Router is near the center of the house...  I'm sending it back in warentee (while I still can). 

So disappointed...           

• Administrator

Even with my laptop I can track all the way out to the RV or the guest house and still have signal. My laptop is so good I can hop on my neighbors WiFi that is over 600 feet away. I will admit that at that distance I've barely got 1 bar but have hooked to it. So I'd say send it back there is issues.

Laptop: Toshiba L875D-S7232

There's an electronic store where I'm at that sells several makes of re-fab devices like computers, laptops and pads. The older salesman and I were shooting the bull and he said, of the re-fab devices, the percent of the units were returned because of problems. Not a very high percent, but well above the returns of the new. Chances are you should return the device and try another, or foot the bill for new. That old man said they had no returns from the re-fab iPads, so far.

But electronic devices are like a frustrated 5 year old child. Sometimes you never know what to expect.

I bought my wife a new iPad2. She lives on it since she loves to read her books, emails her friends and checks the internet for news. They aren't cheap, but I haven't heard of a problem yet. I only have 11 acres, but she gets reception anywhere on the property. And has yet to have an issue when we travel once she's on a wi-fi signal from the hotel we stay at. 

Most pads and smart phones don't have the range for wifi that desktop or laptops do. Antenna size is the problem. My desktop has a 6" antenna on the back outside of the case. I'd do an Internet seach and get reviews on wifi range for intended purchases. I've got a new iPhone 6+ and it doesn't have the range of my desktop. In my detached office it's marginal for wifi and my computer gets an excellent signal.

• Administrator

:iagree:

But mine has to do with the fact Linux give m the power to tune the power I want to run for WiFi. This is a edge that Linux gives me over Microsoft software. I can manually tune and tweak the signal strength for long reach or cut it way back and save power. My choice.

sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower n
sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate auto

As one person post on a article...

Just to note, a few cards can NOT handle this at all. They will refuse to work. Also, some cards can do it but just don't have the heatsinks. Those cards melt. MAKE SURE YOUR CARD CAN SUPPORT THIS AND HAS A GOOD HEATSINK!

So be careful if your tweaking the signal...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/328418/how-to-increase-power-of-wifi-adapter

I used to make hi dB antennas out of Pringles cans and point then to the garage. One more to a ip camera. Sounds cheesy but it works great.

Anything to act as a dish really, then point at the router. I even used a stainless bowl on side of a house to send signal to a shop once. He still uses it today.

We are getting way off in the weeds here.  The router is in the center of his house..  Be it I assume it isn't a mansion, he should have signal on anything anywhere in the house.  Either its a bug in the software or faulty hardware.  

Routers make a big difference.  Especially beamforming ones.  I get signal across the house where other routers could only make it halfway.  

• Like 1

By the way...for those looking at routers, it is the biggest nomenclature fraud in the world.  For instance, this router says 2350mbps.  But lets take a closer look.

21llkl1.jpg

Each thing you see is a "stream", which is basically like injector holes.  More holes, more fuel.  Streams can only go so fast, so to keep gaining speed and innovate, they multiply the number of them to give you a faster total speed.  The fraudulent part is where they add them all together and call it a summation speed.  As in if you look at that pic and add up all 7 streams, you get 2350mbps.  

Here's the thing, a device (computer, laptop, phone) can only use the blue or the purple streams at one time, they are on different frequencies and it has to pick one or the other.  2.4ghz and 5ghz..   5ghz is always faster, but doesn't go as far.  The purple is 5ghz.  As you can see, you can get 4 streams and total 1.73gbps.  But then theres the next problem.....that is one of the only routers I've seen with 4 streams.  So here you have this router capable of 1.73gbps, but I don't know of ANY devices with 4 antennas (streams).  Most have 2.  Rarely they might have 3, but don't get your hopes up.  Each antenna costs money and manufacturers of computers could care less about selling a wireless speed capability feature, they just say it has wifi and call it good.  

So be it you probably only have 2 streams, you can only use 2 of those 433mbps streams, for a total of 866mbps.  If you use 2.4ghz (blue), then you are down to 200mbps per stream, and if you have 2 streams, you have 400mbps.  

And it gets worse...  These features are dependent on a protocol, the protocols are a/b/g/n/ac.  The protocols can be considered the injector hole size.  Bigger hole, more flow.  b can do 11mbps, a/g can do 54mbps, but a/b/g are only capable of 1 stream.  So 11mbps for b or 54mbps for a/g is all you're gonna get.  n is capable of 4 streams, ac is capable of 8.  These 2 protocols have a lot of other factors but if cost is no object, n is capable of 600mbps, and ac is capable of 6933mbps.  However, these are only possible if you have that many antennas and currently I have only seen 3 streams for n and 4 with ac.  

The range is another ordeal.  n goes the farthest.  ac goes half as far.  

In short, a "n" router with 3 streams (slightly more common to have 3 for n nowadays), is the best.  It is rated at 450mbps.  Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091

That way you get the best speeds and best range.  However, beamforming with ac does make them equal, if not making ac better, but it is marginal and it costs too much to be reasonable.  Beamforming focuses the wifi on your device, rather than in a 360* broadcast that loses signal by doing that.  

In reality, the majority of you guys probably only use it for wifi, and only have maybe 20mbps internet.  A crappy wireless n router is entirely sufficient.  n is the bees knees in short..  ac is good just $$$.  

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the unit...  nice big screen for picture viewing...  but the reception problem was a non-starter.  I packed it up in the same packaging it came in & returned it.  I shipped it too fast because the next day, Amazon provided a prepaid label.  So I paid the return shipping.  I watched the tracking, processed the day after they got it & my CC was refunded. 

I did use it just enough to realize that with my Left hand problems from the MS that I had troubles holding it & working at the same time.  I prefer to work on my desk top but I have a Win 7 laptop (when wife gets it back from her 92 yo Aunt).  Who's also going to get another laptop.  Actually thinking Aunt may swap for wife's laptop & wife get a new one.   

We are all wireless.  Desktop has a WiFi card & outside antenna.  I can see neighbor's systems 5-600 feet away.  While were were waiting to get our underground cable installed, I used his connection (with permission).  Laptop is almost as good.  Several laptops could lock on neighbor's systems from the kitchen table.    

I think you are right...  returned items may well have defect.  I sent a note inside the package as to the problem.. hope no one else gets zinged for it.