• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1st Gen 4x4 smooth driving then Shakes any thoughts?

JAG1

• Staff

Had it looked at 4 times, thrown some parts at it w/ rebalanced rear driveline, replaced front calipers, turned front disks, new pads and shoes, something replaced on the front differential (both sides under some kind of plastic caps with 4 bolts on  each one).

Just got it looked at again and found idler arm play with up down movement when you wiggle the steering back and forth.

Am I on the right track with this? Whole truck starts shaking on its own at high speeds and goes away when I touch the brakes and then comes back again on its own.

Thanks to you all for making this a great place to enjoy reading worth while things.

Does it start when you hit a small bump and shake the steering wheel? If so then you probably have been experiencing the imfamous "Death Wobble". Any loose parts in the front end will contribute to it. Also if you max out the caster it seems to help a lot for it too.

• Staff

Thanks Tom, Getting the idler arm replaced. Does anyone know how long that normally should take? They want me to leave the truck but can't do anything without a work truck.

Correction.... I think it's called a Pitman arm. Not sure what an Idler arm is but it's the one bolted up to the steering secter shaft with the big nut on it.

Edited by JAG1

It shouldn't take but an hour to replace if they get right to it and don't have any problems.

Yes that would be the pitman arm, a idler arm is used on the 2wd trucks, its just like a pitman arm but its free turning(not attached to a gear box) you can see some pictures here: http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/8717-steering-upgrade-possibilities-for-2wd/?p=94198

Edited by bjytech

• Staff

Thanks Bryan for clarifying that. Les Schwab wants $194 to replace pitman arm. But I don't always trust guys working on piece rate & commission. They've did some bad stuff many years ago so I don't know about now.

Tom, it starts the shaking on it's own. I can feel it start very slow and then builds up to seeing the hood shaking and all. If I don't touch the brakes it does fade away. Comes and goes like that

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Okay still working on it but, getting better after Source automotive did the arm connected to the pitman arm. Can't remember the name of it.

We also found one wheel out of balance at the tire shop, but, the biggest difference is when I changed the brake booster. (Thanks to MnTom) It was causing the brakes to gradually go on and off by themselves. Just need to pull the master cylinder again and adjust the booster push rod longer because there is too much brake pedal travel before the brakes activate.

I'm glad I found the problem.

Thanks everyone for the help.

• Like 1