• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Paint Help

Sweet looking forward to seeing the progress.

Just some food for thought on the bed liner idea,  I am a cabinet maker/up-fitter for high end motor coaches and do deal with brand new chassis's from time to time and one thing I have noticed on the new Mercedes and Dodge sprinter cut aways is they use a Line-X or bed-liner type product on the lower panels and underside of the vehicle especially right behind the front tires.  That being said IMHO I feel it is better than paint for that part of the vehicle...   

HVLP is the way to go...but if its your first go around I would be hesitant to encourage you to try it on a vehicle that you have high expectations of. Painting is an art, the prep is the most time consuming and difficult aspect of spraying a vehicle and every single imperfection WILL show up regardless of how many coats you apply and how good a job you do spraying. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just beware the outcome most likely will not be as good as the factory paint.

I've sprayed a dozen or more cars over the years and am by no means an expert, but I learned enough to decide that spraying a bed liner around the bottom would produce better results for the reasons your finding out now...its dang hard to blend a panel in and have it look right. With the bed liner there is no blending, you run the mask line and go with it, and it still looks pretty good, but that's all a matter of personal preference.

• Like 1

Back in high school doing auto body, we had a room dedicated to color matching. You would look up a paint code and, IIRC, could input the vehicle and it would estimate the paint fade,etc. Grabbed a paint can and put it on a scale then it would tell you what pigments to use and you would dispense it until the computer told you to stop. That was the hardest part. Wish it dispensed it for you.

I had a white car i had to paint one time, and believe it or not i had to use a green color like the color of mint. I had just a few drops too much in the mix and ruined the batch! Paint came out looking like Wintergreen gum..

Anyways,enough of my rambling. If your insistent on painting it yourself,practice on a panel of cardboard with your hvlp gun until you think you got it. Painting is something you need to practice alot before doing on a vehicle. Once that paint goes on, if it's not right, it can be a real pain to fix even the smallest flaws.

Trying to get some experience. I tried my tailgate with a rattle can as a test, and after 3 coats of color it's still patchy...Definitely time to invest in a gun and some quality paint with some thicker coats. My tailgate was in real rough shape and I didn't finish prep work, but I wanted to gauge painting larger areas with a spray can. Experienced advice was right again...

post-1611-0-12816300-1422930869_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-78368700-1422930899_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-60604800-1422930927_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...