• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lets see who you are!

Mopar1973Man

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thank you all for the compliments on the cabin. You wouldn't believe how hard I had to work with 5 of us trying to live in a trailer. Come home, eat diner, right back to work till 9-10 pm, then back to work in the morning. After two weeks you start getting used to it, but I was much younger then.

Amazing Dynamic :thumbup2::thumbup2: Two thumbs up.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner
2 hours ago, dripley said:

Age wise I would say there is nothing typical. I see your youth and others and my 65 years and others maybe older that me, we all love em. Not sure what is typical around here.

We've got a real mixed bag of ages. I've got guys in the 70-80's and then the puppies from 18 and up. Doesn't matter it's just on happy family here and every gets along with each other. There are people from all walks of life retired, working class, performance nuts, you name it. 

I built it this spring for some extreme long range stuff (yet another hobby of mine...).

I built it on a Stiller TAC 300 action, Bartlein heavy palma profile stainless match-grade barrel (.308 caliber, 5R rifling), with an APA Fat Bastard (that's what it's called...) 4-port muzzle brake. The chassis is an XLR Carbon with 10 round Accuracy International magazine. I chambered it in .300 Winchester Magnum; specifically a PT&G .300 Win Mag Tactical Match chamber reamer. I did all machine work on the barrel, as well as cutting the chamber myself. It was an unbelievably satisfying experience!

The scope is an IOR Valdada 6-24x50mm, 35mm tube, in an MOA/MOA configuration, on a Stiller 20 MOA rail. I intentionally went with a second focal plane scope for this build because this rifle will rarely ever be fired in a situation where I don't know the distance to the target. Plus, I can still range with it if necessary, I just need to have it at a specific power setting to do so. The glass in this scope is some of the best I've ever used.

I'm shooting Hornady 225gr ELD Match bullet and Norma brass. With 77gr of Hodgdon H1000 powder, I'm getting 2930 fps at the muzzle. In 70 degree weather at my altitude, this projectile is supersonic to 2000 yards.

So far, I have about 150 rounds through this rifle, and it shoots AMAZING...! I've only had opportunity to shoot it out to 1000 yards, but I can tell you that 1K is a chip shot for this rifle, routinely grouping at 4" or less...

Here are a few more photos of it:

59b05b1cc29c7_RHside2.jpg.02d01acb8a7f4c020b7353c7d33fb7d2.jpg59b05b1e54776_RHside.jpg.02c7f8334da43abb31bf1ee3388a1fc1.jpg59b05b3cf173e_Closeup.jpg.f798ac074a14e3c1159e19988ec587d1.jpg

Tray full of awesomeness...

Bullets.jpg.0f483994020ddbecaa4a86cb1b76c3b1.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it has been a fun project, and it's an absolute blast to shoot. I built it to shoot extreme distances (out to a mile, possibly beyond), so I'm pretty anal in my reloading. I'm a BIG fan of heavy projectiles as well. The Hornady 225gr ELD Match bullets I'm loading have a G1 ballistics coefficient of .777, which is extremely high for a .308 caliber projectile. They fly extremely well, and are very consistent.

@Killer223, I don't have any AR-10 experience at all. All of my long range stuff is built on custom actions and chassis. I did shoot a .300 WSM one time. It shot well, but I prefer to just use a long action in the build and shoot the full length .300 WM. If I were to build a short action rifle (and I may at some point), it would be chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. That is a sweet little round that shoots super flat out to medium distances, with very little recoil (especially when compared to the .300 WM shown here...!), so it's a nice round for the wife or kids to shoot.

@Hawkez, What brand of brass are you reloading? Are you full length resizing? Neck sizing? Bumping the shoulder back? What bullets are you using? Powder? Primer? How far off the lands? Not interrogating you, I'm just a data junkie and like to know what guys are using!

@Dynamic I'll have to go home and look at the specifics.  I have been using 168gr Noslers.  I can't remember which powder I used on my last run, but I have only been neck sizing.  .015"-.020" off the lands seems to be the sweet spot for the load I was using, but this next run I want to play with that a bit more.  I only have maybe 50 rounds through this gun, but I was able to get 3 rounds touching at 100 yds.  Pretty happy with it so far.  Monday I put a new Vortex HST scope on it.  I need to get familiar with it before the hunts begin next month.

• Staff
18 hours ago, Dynamic said:

I'm shooting Hornady 225gr ELD Match bullet and Norma brass. With 77gr of Hodgdon H1000 powder, I'm getting 2930 fps at the muzzle. In 70 degree weather at my altitude, this projectile is supersonic to 2000 yards.

That's a very efficient load, much more efficient than I usually see on a win mag. Are you moly coating?

I shoot a Rem 700 with a Lilja 26" bbl and a custom muzzle brake. I load a Swift A-Frame at 3010 fps using 75.5gr of H4831 SC. My Leupold VX-III 3.5-10 has a custom BDC dial on it that's marked for 1000 yards, which is plenty since it's a hunting rifle.

18 minutes ago, Dynamic said:

Yeah, it has been a fun project, and it's an absolute blast to shoot. I built it to shoot extreme distances (out to a mile, possibly beyond), so I'm pretty anal in my reloading. I'm a BIG fan of heavy projectiles as well. The Hornady 225gr ELD Match bullets I'm loading have a G1 ballistics coefficient of .777, which is extremely high for a .308 caliber projectile. They fly extremely well, and are very consistent.

Have you messed much with G1 vs G7? I see Hornady gives both sets of data. What I read about it I should be using G1 for my flat base and you should use G7 for your boat tail? G7 also appears to take different software to calculate as it's a different method. 

I run a .444 on my A-Frame, which is pretty good for a flat base. It's enough to keep my energy up for as long of a shot as I am comfortable with on an animal. 

I'm using this, and have been super happy with it. Not cheap, but a very nice piece! Nothing touching the barrel...

https://www.amazon.com/Labradar-Ballistic-Velocity-Doppler-Radar/dp/B01HKTB8S6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504797292&sr=8-1&keywords=labradar+chronograph

Yes, I've been very happy with the performance of this load. My barrel is 28" , so its length seems to work really well with the H1000, which is a fairly slow burning powder. No moly coating...

My ballistics app allows me to use G1 data to "build" the load, and then use the G7 data (which is appropriate for match-grade boat tail projectiles) for all ballistics calculations. It has been scary accurate. Out to 1000 (and every place in between), it has been absolutely dead on. A couple of weeks ago, at 1000 yards, 80 degrees F, 2500(ish) ft elevation, 35(ish)% humidity, 47 degrees N latitude, shooting due north, I was at 21.75 minutes of elevation, and about .75 minutes of windage, which is basically just spin drift and a little bit of Coriolis. I use hold-offs for wind...

I'm not much of a hunter, so this rifle is just for shooting targets and steel...