• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well, the airdog, once again..

I just installed  a carter 4600 (black)    on a  tractor  this week.. got it  through amazon..   I couldn't believe  the   owner ratings and comments  about how many are putting them in the  24 valves...  some   single, some  double. 

And you're right,   run 2 of them,  and  when 1  croaks,  you'd still have the other to limp home on.     Doubtful both would  go  **** up   at the same time!

I put on about 1000 hours  a year on this particular tractor,   and if it  lives  beyond  1 year,     I'll    give it my blessing...    50,000 mile  equivalent   would be  pretty good  service life  for   180 bucks!    (2 pumps  X  $90)    

You could buy a Walbro pump for not much more than the Carter Black and have it last darn near forever!!!!

Richard at GDP would still be selling his Walbro LP systems if the company that makes the Walbro didn't insist that he buy like 5000 at a time for the volume price discount.

At this rate, i don't care how good of a warranty fass has. I have the lifetime warranty with air dog. Even if i had one with fass, it still wouldn't thrill me. I'm still stuck without the ability to drive my truck because of their lack of complete thoroughness in r&d work.

I could understand if this was something that happened once like every ten or so years or more. NOT 2-4 years!

C'mon, even oem parts are going longer then that!

My curiosity is the idea of filter location. Talked to Richard from GDP, he suggests to put the filters between the injection pump and lift pump. I wonder if putting fuel through the filters with pressure instead of vacuum affects the filtration and what the filters are designed for.

I shouldn't write this...  don't want to jinks myself...  I have an original AirDog 150 or 165?   Not a bit of trouble.  (knock on wood)   I don't have a warantee on the AD.   

The FASS seems to offer the easiest replacement from AD & as I read it a lifetime guarentee

I'm not finding a link to the Walpro set up.   Is there a write up somewhere? 

I've always wondered why mechanical fuel pumps were standard for generations...  gas & diesel...  switched to electric & nothing but troubles.   

I'm not finding a link to the Walpro set up.   Is there a write up somewhere? 

I've always wondered why mechanical fuel pumps were standard for generations...  gas & diesel...  switched to electric & nothing but troubles.   

GDP no longer sells/puts together these LP kits.  Due to the company that makes the Walbro pump wanting Richard to purchase something like 5000 pumps before they'd give him a price break.

• Owner

What did you find in your fuel canister Mike? I changed my canister filter out at roughly the same mileage, it was darkish in color but I'm not sure that's out of the norm.

Nothing but the same old green fuel and aluminium bottom looking back at me. The pics are of my filters at 30k miles. Like I said I'm fussy about where I get fuel at. No black scum or anything.

When i talked to fass, it actually sounded like they would be more of a pain for warranty than air dog. Said if something was wrong,you'd have to send it in and they'd look at it before making a determination on it. What does a person do in the meantime?

I asked air dog to give me their new pump design the g4. They wouldn't do it. Then when he told me they usually only last 4year's i told him i wanted an extra pump and he wasn't going for it either.

I told him how i felt about being without a vehicle because of their product.

...this is why im dropping the whole system. Fuel boss,here i come!

For the record,I've owned the air dog about 4 years. This is my 3rd pump, now...

Edited by hex0rz
  • Like 2

When i talked to fass, it actually sounded like they would be more of a pain for warranty than air dog. Said if something was wrong,you'd have to send it in and they'd look at it before making a determination on it. What does a person do in the meantime?

I asked air dog to give me their new pump design the g4. They wouldn't do it. Then when he told me they usually only last 4year's i told him i wanted an extra pump and he wasn't going for it either.

I told him how i felt about being without a vehicle because of their product.

...this is why im dropping the whole system. Fuel boss,here i come!

For the record,I've owned the air dog about 4 years. This is my 3rd pump, now...

That's why I got FASS and rebuilt my old AD for backup.

• Owner

The only reason I don't like the mechanical pumps is...

• Belt driven and most auto parts stores don't carry that belt.
  • Pump is even farther away from the tank so wear in typically increased on pumps that have to suck a long distance.
  • Fuel Boss relies on the stock lift pump and check valves for priming. So you still stuck buying another stock pump on top too increasing the total cost.
  •  Been reports of the front of the oil pan leaking more so from vibration of the pump and requirement of torquing the bolts more.

Shirt life span lift pumps is TOTALLY unacceptable since it causes expensive damage to the IP...  IMHO, people don't invest in diesels to trade them in...  I bought mine because I intended to KEEP IT... 

My previous heavy hauler, Chevy C30, 454, etc was 23 years old. 

It seems to me that there's a vacume in the market for a Lift Pump that will go the distance.   

I used to see gas Marine engines with double diaphram fuel pumps...  old fashoned mechanical pumps on the blocks.  I will say I saw them on Mercruiser inboards for certain.          

question for you guys with FASS and AD pumps, have anyone ever measured the current draw on the pump while running,

I was making a few adjustments on the pump, and other stuff of the truck,  I had the multimeter out to measure the ac noise on my truck for chat with the man here, anyways at 20 psi, my AD is only drawing 6.2 amps.

it would be interesting to see what others are drawings, and the fact that other gentleman was blowing he fuse,,, more ways then one :)

my fuse is 20 amps,, and i bet one could add a amp meter in the motor feed to get an idea when the motor is over stressed.

anyways, just figured i would speak up,,,,

Nothing but the same old green fuel and aluminium bottom looking back at me. The pics are of my filters at 30k miles. Like I said I'm fussy about where I get fuel at. No black scum or anything.

Do you really think a guy needs to change oil or fuel filters at least once a year like they recommend, or if I put 30k on my truck in 5 years what can possibly go wrong with filters other then get plugged with crap, and when you see pressure change that would be the time to replace the filters?

Do you really think a guy needs to change oil or fuel filters at least once a year like they recommend, or if I put 30k on my truck in 5 years what can possibly go wrong with filters other then get plugged with crap, and when you see pressure change that would be the time to replace the filters?

i had about 15k on my AD filter when i spun a new napa filter on this fall and drained the WS, the factory filter that was installed new when i installed the AD had over 20k on it, even tho it should never see any dirt i am noticing more of a psi drop at the IP at high demand

I guess what I was trying to ask, is it nessesery to change a filter once a year regarding of use, or only when they strart to get pluged up. Reason I'm asking is I'm not sure if media or body goes bad in certain time period. Let's say I put new filter on, run the truck for a day, then park it for 5 years, assuming fuel is fresh or oil, will that filter be good for another 5 years if I only put 1000 ml on it in 10 years? Talking to several manufactures of filters they all seem to say same thing change it every so many miles or once a year, maybe they just covering their behind. I know for a fact that a guy I know along with my dad has a vehicle that only gets driven 100 ml a year at best and both of them haven't changed oil for at least 5 years. It still looks new too.