• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

dodge nv4500

My old '99 with the NV4500, has over 170,000 on her. No issues at all. I gave my '99 to the parents, when I got my 04.5 in June of '04. It had 143,000 miles on it then..............In 5+ years, the P's have only put less than 25,000 miles on her!!!!!:neutral::neutral: Still has the original clutch, VP, lift pump etc..........:lol::lol::lol: When I had that truck, I drove the piss out of it!!!!! It's leading a charmed life now. Although, I'll probably get it back in the near future............the P's are getting old and Dad doesn't like the manual tranny so much anymore!!!:cool::cool:

Just like most manual transmissions the previous owner or a mechanic dumping the wrong fluid in can cause problems. IIRC the NV4500 uses a gear lube of 75W90 but it MUST be GL-4 rated to prevent the lube from attacking the yellow metals in the transmission.

:iagree::iagree:but gl4 is a rating that is rarely used today(i think someone said its a really old military spec). you will usually find GL5/MT1. most people will tell you that GL5 is compatible with GL4...but when you look at the criteria for rating, GL5/MT1 has more of the stuff that harms the yellow metals. i read up on this back when i had a trans flush and fill. because not all oils are the same...i do think that SOME GL5/MT1's will work...but i didn't want to the test bed at that time.