• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

He351ve stand alone Arduino controller code for 2nd Gen Cummins

I have added a TCC lockup section of code now.  I figured I might as well connect the EB and TC lockup into one button. 

How it works is

if you push the EB button, and TPS is under %5 then you will get lockup and eb functions

However if you push the eb button and TPS is above %5 then you will just get Lockup.  So it should function more so as a lockup function that applies the eb if you let off the throttle.

I haven't posted the code yet, but I have finished up version 1.12.  version 1.12 and above are for the arduino mega shield only as you need the extra inputs for various things.  

I need to fully test this version but I am waiting on a 5v relay to control the lockup.

He351ve Freq 1.12
-Lockup control added on pin 53.  Uses a 5v relay to ground the TCC lock wire.  EB buttong is used to lock the TC.  IF off the throttle lock + eb are engaged. If on the throttle only TC lock is enabled.
-fix for altitude consideration put into place.  On start boost and drive should change to 0 psi vs -4 at 7000'. 30 ish seconds of idle state will set the recheck for altitude.
-frame work put into place to try and read PID values from the ecm.  No functioning but you will see the base code for that. 

• Like 1

Lockup + EB is now tested and working with the current code.  

Using one of these

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13815

it is easy to control lockup. It is just a NO relay.  to control it you just set a pin to low to engage the relay or high to disengage.  

Now if I can only figure out how to read shift points I could do an automated 2nd gear lockup. @dynamic said something about watching for a spike or something, I dunno.  More reading and testing.  

this project is starting to get pretty specific to my truck now.  I might break the code out into 2 different sections, one for my projects and one for controlling the turbo.  Dunno who knows if anyone is actually using my code.

From a PM I got

Hi,

My names Austin, I've been following your work on the arduino controller, and i just recently picked up a 351VE for my 99 24 valve. I had a few questions because there's so much information on your thread its hard for me to break it down and wrap my head around it all. So firstly, my intentions with this are to have my turbo controlled based off of shaft speed, load, engine rpm, and i would like the working exhaust brake that you have recently posed about so i will break my message down into a few parts to make it easier for me to be clear about what i am asking.

1.) I ordered the arduino uno and canbus shield you have linked. i also ordered wire, two pressure sensors, the pot, and a arduino screw shield. what other hardware do i need? I'm obviously going to get the 9924 chip and the resistor for it. I'm having a hard time finding the turbo connectors, however that is something i can handle. I also ordered a 20x4 LCD with I2C for the arduino

2.) you mentioned the torque converter lockup for the EB that you had coded, is that something that the arduino controls entirely or do i need to have a manual lockup switch?

3.)Would it be possible to retrieve the engine rpm and such from the canbus connector? I have a quadzilla adrenaline 4k installed but I'm sure i could make a pigtail to retain its connection and add in the arduino, or is it better to just get the OBD2 arduino adapter?

I really appreciate any help you can offer, and ive got to say this is really impressive what your doing  i was going to order FLeeces controller until i read this thread, and i love doing things like this. I will most definitely be trying my hand at writing code, i have a basic understanding of linux commands and I'm sure that i will be able to handle adjusting boost maps for my trucks setup.

Thanks in advance!!!

Austin 

1. PN for the turbo connector 

Turbo Connector 4 pin: Mouser Connector Link 54200410-B   Pins 10762770

Turbo RPM Connector: Mouser Connector Link PN: 282087-1

If you want the EB then I would suggest getting a arduino 5v relay to control the grounding of the TC pin.  of course assuming you have an auto and not a manual.  

http://www.resistorpark.com/5v-1-channel-relay-module-for-arduino/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw17i7BRC7toz5g5DM0tsBEiQAIt7nLDAtqtFkPWam-2Lse_pLChd45O9zfhXoaEVTgmr2Yl0aAmXq8P8HAQ Should be fine.

I think you have everything you need other than a button to tell the arduino when you want to engage the EB. I recommend a momentary on off button.  I am working towards retrofitting a chevy shifter with the built in buttons, but who knows when i will finish that up.

2.  You need to have a button to tell the arduino when you want to engage the EB.  You could do it off the brake pedal switch if you like, but I dont like having it always go into eb mode.

3.  I have been trying to find a good way to read canbus data but I have yet to be able to get back info in a timely manner.  I am actively working towards this as time allows.   At this point I wouldn't wait on me getting the canbus going.  It is pretty tricky on our trucks.

You can read RPM directly from the sensor, it puts out a nice square wave. 

I seem to have some bidirectional communication going on now between my arduino canbus shield the the underhood plug.  It is much less complex than trying to talk through the Obd, at least for me.  

Not sure what it means yet, but at least I have some data.  I can't say that it is much faster than the obd however.  More digging is required.

• 2 weeks later...

2 or 3 seconds only haha, the on ramp was short, and I was moving too fast. 

This is the first time I have seen boost levels over 34 psi with the vgt, 39 is a little out of it's map, but not too bad.  I topped 75 mph haha,whew doggy stay out of my way :)

Sorry went back and edited my last reply. haha those AREN'T bad numbers lol!

What's the peak boost for the vgt's?? I gotta admit, I know just about nothing of those turbos lol.

You're addicted to speed now my friend!

:burnout:

peak shaft speed is 130,000 rpm at a 4.5 PR so at sea level 40 is about as high as you want to go and stay within the efficiency islands.

Nah I have a bmw 750il for when I want to go fast. The truck isn'y very exciting over 70 mph hahaha.......the bmw however is just warming up in 2nd at 70 :burnout:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased all the parts that you had listed to build the setup, and the all arrived this evening, i have couple questions about the 9924 chip were do you wireally it in at hand were do they all go, also what wires from the board will go to the turbo plug and also the speed sensor. Also I decided I would try to run the code on my arduino before I started test assembly but when I downloaded it, and opened it when I tried to verify  it it had a error. Any help will greatly be appreciated 

20160803_213619.jpg

Yes I am using a uno and I used you latest code  that you had posted I downloaded it and also copy and pasted it. Both had the same error .

I have a uno and u used the most recent code you had posted I downloaded it and also copied it and pasted did this for the boost and the speed codes.

So to wire the 9924 int A2 mode use the Board, I dunno if you got one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Pcs-SOT23-UMAX10-DIP10-MSOP10-to-DIP10-Adapter-Board-3sets-of-header-pins-/121612300791?hash=item1c50a871f7:g:QzAAAOSwEeFVHfPD

solder the chip to the board then use the breakout board to connect the

http://community.lilbb.com/hardware/through-hole-fun/msg88/#msg88 there is the post that lilbb did that shows the wiring.

Pin 1 and 2 connect to a 10k resistor per wire and a 100nF capacitor connecting the wires coming from the turbo

Pin 3 not connected  between the wire 

Pin 4 Not connected ( I think) 

Pin 5 ground

Pin 6 ground

pin 7 goes to your arduino uno pin 8 

pin 8 Not connected

pin 9 ground

pin 10 5v

9924_Chip.PNG

A2_Mode.PNG9924_Pins.PNG