• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

low down on Bluechip pumps?

• Owner

Thanks,   I was just reading about  their  'special X'  pump.     little more hp,  little more  economy...  all for  an additional  300 bucks...   That  would put it well north of  2k..

I'm not exactly sure about the Special X pumps but I know the "HotRod" pump are modified internally for advanced timing so you can't use any programmer or module on them. So when they talk about modified pumps with more power and economy typically that means as a standalone. We you start stacking more timing it might become a bad thing. Hence why most will suggest stay with a stock pump that allows you your choice of module or programmer.

• Like 1

I'm not exactly sure about the Special X pumps but I know the "HotRod" pump are modified internally for advanced timing so you can't use any programmer or module on them. So when they talk about modified pumps with more power and economy typically that means as a standalone. We you start stacking more timing it might become a bad thing. Hence why most will suggest stay with a stock pump that allows you your choice of module or programmer.

What I took away  from their description of  the  special X,   was  definitely more timing..   from  Idle on up...    and  also expect the engine to  rattle  accordingly at idle...      I bet it  starts  harder too..     they didn't elaborate on  what they do, but   apparently  they  swap  some things around inside..

I don't have  a tuner now,    but  like you said,   we could duplicate   electronically  what they are doing  mechanically,  plus able to go back to stock if  needed!

• Like 2

• Owner

these guys are local for me, when my vp44 finally crapped out (electrical) i took it into them, after a 30 min chat with the tech, i just bought a "new" pump they had on the shelf. very knowledgeable and found out a couple things about these vp pump, 

http://www.dfispdx.com/

For safety sake test your alternator for AC noise output. That is the main reason for electrical failures on our truck is a bad alternator diode feeding AC ripple to sensitive electronics.

In reading Blue Chip pages...  it says that the Special X VP44 uses genuine Bosch parts from other applications to advance the timing mechanically.  I believe the total advance is limited by the design of the VP44.  It says the special X pumps do mechanically what a box or tuner does electronically.  http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/better_fuel.html   And advises not to combine a Special X pump with such a tuner.   I find the electronic choices preferable...  like my XZT+...  because I can switch to stock at the flip of a switch. 

There are NO New VP44s in the USA.  All in the US are rebuilt...  to some degree.  Blue Chip makes a big deal out of upgraded parts & housing...  and computer.  It's my understanding that there are only a couple of shops with the test bench needed to set up the VP44.  Blue Chip doesn't have one.     

ADDITIONAL:  http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/247-bosch-certified-vp44-injection-pump-rebuilders 

Edited by flagmanruss

naw, it was not this, its was the typical solder issue that is known for the vp44s during that time frame. (its is documented case of cold solder joins on the board that fail over time)

it happened during a very hot set of days. 

the noise in the electrical would show up in the TC Lockup flip flopping long before it gets bad enough to take out electronics . 

My lockup is my early warning devise that my battery connections are needing cleaning  :ahhh:

to tell you the truth, i am surprised everything survived when my ecm decided to allow the regulator go on strike.

speaking of ECM, who offers a good replacement?    

There are NO New VP44s in the USA.  All in the US are rebuilt...  to some degree.  Blue Chip makes a big deal out of upgraded parts & housing...  and computer.  It's my understanding that there are only a couple of shops with the test bench needed to set up the VP44.  Blue Chip doesn't have one.     

this is only you will see quotes around new on my post, and yes you are correct. DFIS works with one of those shops... DFIS still rebuilds the VE and P7100 pumps in house, 

• Owner

There are more shops advertizing Bosch test benches now...  maybe as many as 30 in the USA.  Most of the ones listed are in the Western states? 

Could you get me a list of them please Russ so I can update my list in the article database.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/247-bosch-certified-vp44-injection-pump-rebuilders

• 2 weeks later...

For safety sake test your alternator for AC noise output. That is the main reason for electrical failures on our truck is a bad alternator diode feeding AC ripple to sensitive electronics.

How do you check the AC noise output? I'd be interested to see where mine is at as I'm still running a stock VP and just hit 170k! I want to keep this baby going as long as I can!

• Owner

Here is one video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGaHaIXZioA

Here is my video. Just remember to probe the BATT terminal on the alternator.

Just like the truck I just got done working on. It ate the VP44 and the ECM to some degree...

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/9720-wait-to-start-light-stuck-on