• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ECM controlled lift pump

• Owner

No. The ECM is a ON or OFF state typically. The only time its a modulated state is during cranking which a rapid ON to OFF state at a 50% duty cycle. This gives the reduced fuel pressure for the start up. So the other reason the ECM controls the the lift pump is crash safety. Say you involved in a accident knock out. If the lift pump is wired to just a key ON then the fuel pump could be fuelling a fire that might kill you. Where with the ECM in control the ECM sees no tach signal and shuts down both VP44 and the lift pump for safety. Kind of like the old 12 valves once the engine died the mechanical lift pump stopped too.

• Like 1

I never did like the idea of the ECM directly powering the lift pump. It should of always been a relay direct part. Can you imagine what the heat stress is like with a semi-locked up pump in the dead of winter on the MOSFET's in the ECM? :wow:

I should add a relay.  Good idea. 

My ecm triggers a relay, which is hooked straight to the battery. Then the power travels down to the pump. Are you guys saying your ecm powers your pumps?

I've never checked, but from what Mike wrote, I assume so. 

• Owner

Mosfet?    wazzat?

Here is what a MOSFET is..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET

Here is the MOSFET's in the ECM

post-2-138698195813.jpg

As for lift pump wiring... As you can see there is two lead out of the ECM I can assume there is two MOSFET's controlling the fuel pump in parallel to handle the normal current load.

ecm6.jpg

• Like 1