• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How to clean a turbo

AlCorr

I've gone back to my stock air box after finding some grim and dirt on my turbo fins. My question is there a quick and easy way to clean the inside of a turbo and it's fines. This may sound dumb, but on my 01, I used a can of spray carb cleaner. It worked, but I'm not sure its a good idea.

I don't see anything wrong with the carb cleaner. I would disconnect the hose going to the engine and spray it all out and get it clean then hose it with water then hook the intercooler tube back up and start it so it dries all the water.

Thanks for the reply, when I cleaned my 01, I kept the engine running and sprayed short blast into and on the turbo fins, till the engine started to stall, just like if I were doing a carb on a gasser. After I got done I started thinking what if I got a build-up of the carb cleaner in the intercooler and it exploded. What if I damaged the bearing on the turbo. So I'm not sure if this is the way to good. But it did do a nice job.

Yeah I wouldn't leave the engine running when spraying carb cleaner in it. I said take the intercooler tube off so none of the cleaner would get in it, and when it's running, where is all the grit it is cleaning going?.. I would spray it and toothbrush the fins then hose it so no carb cleaner gets in the intercooler at all.