• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mike will you please be more specific as to exactly what you want.

I am sure that I am not the only member that wants to know exactly what you want.

First you notify members that you are shutting down this site, then you changed your mind and notified members that the rules have changed. Then you notify members that the minimum dues you expect is $10.00 for each six month period or member can not post. So myself and others sent you the $10.00 dues required to post. Today I receive your e-mail SR233- NOb Membership Requirements. Will you please explain to us exactly what these requirements are and exactly what you are looking for.

This is not a personel attack on you or any one else, I would just like to know exactly what you want.

Tom Kerley.

First off, short of the money we recieved through personal memberships we would have closed down the site. In fact Michael intended closing it and only due to screaming and donations from members we convinced him to keep it going and got a much needed new server. After the generousity of members we realize that we do need vendor sponsors to sustain us. Michael formed a board of directors to help make decisions and spread out the work load.

We are sorry for the change up on you. If not for the action taken, we'd be gone. There are new levels of membership privileges based on amount given. If you still feel like you were "ripped off" we'd be happy to refund your donation. None of the changes were meant to make anyone feel taken advantage of. I think we are getting pretty close to a sustainable model. Sorry for the confusion.

It's been a work in progress to keep the site open & functioning. It was under my insistance to charge a minimum of $10 to post. That was a stopgap to keep the site in place. A new server was bought to get rid of the lag. As an example, when 100 or more people were on, even Michael could not log on

So, we formed a Board of Directors. Voting ensued & changes were made yet again

We are working to get vendors on board to keep the site alive, as there were some months that the site was in the red (Not enough to sustain).

I will claim all responsibility for demanding the $10 to post, as at the time, the site was going to be shut down. THere were over 2000 menbers & a touch over 200 of them were paying members.

None of us could afford to have this resource removed from the internet, as just buying a Haynes manual for $30 that can tell you the code, but not how to diagnose it, was a more expensive option & not interactive.

With the outpouring of monies, the new server was purchased. Keeping the new server is much more expensive than the last. Michael has spent the last month or so getting everything switched over. When you look at the thousands of hours he has spent on the site overall, he has been paid less than a Chinese garment worker.

We have divided up some responsibilities on the site to remove some of the burden, but still most of it falls on Michael, as most of us are not website builders/managers. I bet that you will notice that the site is quite faster.

Please bear with us, as this is still a work in progress.

Ed

• Like 1

I am fine with the donations, and I think it keeps the rif raf out to be honest.  

However, we do need a simple and easy to find description of what membership levels are and what they get you on our front page, and either a link or another description in the donation box.  Last time i donated it wasnt there or wasn't noticeable enough. 

• Like 2

AGP, we honestly expected more fallout from the confusion. It was like trying to save a life & then looking back at it to see what you did wrong. I am actually surprised that there haven't been more complaints as to how we went about it.

Again, I was on the phone with Michael & convinced him to go about it that way. We started a BOD & after votes (That the average user does not see) it got changed.

I do not see it as a personal attack at all. We sure confused the heck out of people for a while & there are still some things that might change.

Getting vendors to shell out a measley $350 per year is like pulling railroad spikes with tweezers. For comparison, it is over $400 per MONTH to be a vendor on Cumminsforum. So, we are still trying to find paying vendors to keep the site self sustaining.

Ed

• Like 1

• Owner

I would like to say "Sorry" as well. It came down to a simple fact we over ran the server (share hosting) like Ed said if there was over 100 people on the server I was booted out and unable to enter to till the volume drop which made my job difficult. But now trying to resolve this took money which I did not have at all. So I was attempt to divide up the jobs and light my load. So I gave the staff a job of handling a damaged file which turn into a argument of "Why did you do this and that?" At that point known I work for nothing for the most part. Being pushed into a corner server wise and then have the staff argue with me on how the site setup. Kind of broke me. So I was man enough to start it... I'm man enough to end it. Well like Ed said people pooled together and within 24 hours came up with the funds to get new server. 

Again the job not over for me. :doh: I now end up pouring WEEKS of time into moving servers, re-setting up, moving domains servers, moving database servers, moving email servers. Setting up each one, testing and securing everything. So now completed the move at the beginning of March. This includes be on the phone with both server companies for hours hashing out the move and getting server setup and tore down.

We now have a new home but at current standing more or less can cover about 9 months with all the current bills and the money runs out. So I've got BoD now hunting for vendors that are willing invest ad dollars in the site.  I've got one member that created 15 badges to be sold which I'm waiting to see in the mail soon. Truly in all the years of owning this domain (Oct 4, 2007) I've never made a profit. The one year I did make a little profit I had custom shirts made for the existing staff and windshield banners for Christmas Gift. (Late Gift). But that was the only time...

So now all the bills have gone up but the income is still very weak and limited. So this why we closed up some what and giving paying/donating members more of the pie than the free members. But again like Ed said it was voted on by the BoD to make changes. This does take a bunch of weight off me and gives it back to the site to work on it. So I'm more or less a Web Site Administrator that is work for peanuts (worse than that at times). So now you can see why I'm was willing to give it up.

Ed is probably the only one that knows of how many hours I laid in bed with my laptop working into the late hours of the evening resolving issues and problems on the site. 

Mike will you please be more specific as to exactly what you want.

It actually what the BoD say now.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/mopar1973man-com-site-information/471-donations-membership

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/mopar1973man-com-site-information/472-staff-members

• Owner

Basically this web site was a mistake. The actual reason it started was to be my personal notebook and save me from typing over and over the same answer. So my old school HTML pages became popular and so I added my email address to the pages. Another mistake now my email was filling up and hard to keep up with replying. So in Oct. 4, 2007 I asked for people to pony up cash so I could buy a server, domain, and forum software. Orignal site back in 2005 was www.frontiernet.net/~mopar1973man and only 20 MB of hard drive space. So now I'm still stuck making HTML pages. So in about 2008 I added Joomla CMS and in 2007 I added vBulletin forum software. 2014 I change from vBulletin to Invision Power Board so to keep up with web standards. So my life changed from being the nice guy that gave help to the Cummins crowd to a full time web site administrator. Give you another clue 2014 the profit do NOT have a comma at not even close...

So what is the national average for web site administrator?

http://www1.salary.com/Web-Administrator-salary.html

So now my role and title has changed. So now I'm trying to keep my head up above water and make it worth my time.

A article I had hidden for a long time...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/mopar1973man-com-site-information/449-who-is-mopar1973man

What more click my LinkedIn link

<------

• Like 1

Mike, I am glad you are looking at it as more than a public service.  This site is a great place that you built to help everyone... as witnessed by your willingness to help others.  HOWEVER, it ain't designed as your free contribution to society.  

• Like 4

A business that doesn't make a profit is no business at all, let alone breakeven. Mopar man isn't a business yet, but I think it should be treated as such. This forum/website is a tremendous resource and anybody collecting small money for it shouldn't feel any guilt whatsoever for it's continued existence. Keep up the great work and wealth of knowledge!

• Like 4

• Owner

Thank you for the wonderful comments. But what I need is people to give the BoD ideas, comments, suggestion, etc. So now it might impact the site's future. If people have ideas we would love to hear them and see if we can make this go. Other than that the future is really kind of touch and go right now. Income is the big issues right now. Like I've ask the BoD to find at least 11-15 vendors that want to be part of the site. Well again like Ed mention above that is unbelievably difficult. I'm still attempting to do the advertising more so of the vendors and members. Yes there is a option for a member to advertise their personal business. Then the option for a vendor to advertise his wares. I'm trying to hold out of Google Ads but it seems I'm going to be push that direction to keep paying the bills. Which in turn will make this place more like Cummins Forum banner wise. This why I'm holding out and hoping for the BoD to fill that gap in the income.

Did you know MoparMom had to pay for my computer parts this last winter because the site didn't have enough money to pay for them?

Did you know in 10 years of doing this I've wore out 4 keyboards and mice already?

Did you know the web site as it stands right now is 3.3 GB of information total?

Can you imagine the time it takes me to pull a backup weekly from the site to home and store it?

What most people don't know is majority of all Web Sites are driven by Linux Servers.

800px-Operating_systems_used_on_top_500_

So again I took it on myself to ditch Windows and learn Linux OS so I could manage this web site to the best of my abilities. Never taken a class even in my life for HTML Servers, PHP Script, MySQL Servers, web hosting or Linux. I learned it all on my own. This again shows how many man hours I placed into this site and just trying to keep it alive. The only thing I got behind me is my college degree in Computer Science (ITT Tech - Van Nuys, CA.) which was back in the day of IBM 8088 processor 4.77 MHz. (Old School!)

• Like 2

Mike,

I haven't been here very long, but in that short time it's pretty obvious how important and awesome this site is. You just don't find forums like this everywhere, especially for something that could be considered a niche market, primarily due to the heavy focus on gen2 trucks. Maybe an idea that could help would be able to merge the passion of our gen2's with some more of the newer gen guys, if anything just to get more people flowing through the site and more willing to pitch in! I'm not 100% on how to accomplish that, but there's something to be said about a forum that's as focused and clear cut as this one. Theres a sense of family here that's not in the 'other forums' and maybe people just aren't aware of this forum exists!

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people are completely fine with showing up, getting what they needed from a forum, and then never coming back to support others or even offering a 'thank you for the help' donation. I'm afraid that mentality of 'it's just the right thing to do' is slowly fading away.

I came to this forum, had very little knowledge of what I was attempting to wrench on and got clear, correct info and that was that. No forum bullying, rude comments or anything, just help and encouragement which in turn makes me want to do the same for others and add to the site in some way. That's why it was a no brainer for me to donate. It's very clear this site is run out of the passion and enjoyment of these vehicles and in one way or another, if you were brought to this site, then clearly it means something to you too!

Other then that I'd personally rock a forum t-shirt or sticker for the back window, and I am NOT a sticker guy!

Anyways, just sharing my input as a new guy, so take it for what you will! I know this is primarily a passion put in forum, but the lights got to stay in somehow! But Mike, you got a good thing going here and it doesn't take much to see that! I do appreciate all the hard work that goes unseen as well! I'll do what I can to help support this site and its cause!

• Like 4

• Owner

Thanks notlimah,

If you do research on Dodge/Cummins forums today majority of them now are Corporation Owned. There is only a handful of forums left that are privately owned like myself.

Maybe an idea that could help would be able to merge the passion of our gen2's with some more of the newer gen guys

That's easy and the newer generation truck owners can do this so easy. Just come to the site and product a article on how to fix something or how to install a product. That how the whole site was started. But sadly there is very few people that want to take the time shoot photos and write up a article on how to do something.

if anything just to get more people flowing through the site and more willing to pitch in!

Flow wise I've got that handled. I'm been focusing on keeping up to date on Google requirements and now I've got several search queries now where I'm in #1 position. Surprisingly enough I beat everyone vendors, CF.com and #1 position for handful or more searches. A good majority of the information can be found at least on the 1st and 2nd page of Google.

https://www.google.com/webhp#q=2nd+gen+turbo+upgrade

So its just a matter of getting people willing to produce articles and write ups on different products. The forum is not the strong point, it's the article database.  The forum is the place the people can come together and create a writeups and verify the information. Then the author can compile this all and actually create the final article. That how 99% of my articles come to be. Like the torque converter lockup and alternator noise. Which lead to new finding and solutions as well.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people are completely fine with showing up, getting what they needed from a forum, and then never coming back to support others or even offering a 'thank you for the help' donation. I'm afraid that mentality of 'it's just the right thing to do' is slowly fading away.

That's the sad part. Everyone expects everything for free from the web anymore. Like when I got the Classified Ad plugin for the site I wanted to charge a small fee for posting ads to create some income for the site. But I was meet with everyone saying that... "Why? There is CraigsList and other places to advertise for free." So money was spent for the software to make my life easier but again no profit made from it. But I still pay a 6 months maintenance fees for all this too. So this why there is a period of growing pains. This why I had to create BoD so there was more points of view and interaction with member base. But we are still trying to produce a set of "By-Laws" that will insure the future of the site by interacting with the membership pool. So all in all the membership pool and BoD will be the factor of what this site is going to be like.

Other then that I'd personally rock a forum t-shirt or sticker for the back window, and I am NOT a sticker guy!

I already got artwork for a shirt. Which to this day I wear for travel shirt.

post-1-0-81799500-1424315022_thumb.jpg

Then I got new artwork for the windshield banner. Which can be scaled to fit a bumper or a rear window.
post-1-0-39299900-1424316226_thumb.png

That's another thing I learned in all this... Vector art.

Anyways, just sharing my input as a new guy, so take it for what you will! I know this is primarily a passion put in forum, but the lights got to stay in somehow! But Mike, you got a good thing going here and it doesn't take much to see that! I do appreciate all the hard work that goes unseen as well! I'll do what I can to help support this site and its cause!

Thank you. Like I said long ago in this thread this whole web site was a mistake wasn't suppose to happen. That why the domain name is my nickname because it was just my personal notebook. But here I am 10 years later and growing.

First off, short of the money we recieved through personal memberships we would have closed down the site. In fact Michael intended closing it and only due to screaming and donations from members we convinced him to keep it going and got a much needed new server. After the generousity of members we realize that we do need vendor sponsors to sustain us. Michael formed a board of directors to help make decisions and spread out the work load.

We are sorry for the change up on you. If not for the action taken, we'd be gone. There are new levels of membership privileges based on amount given. If you still feel like you were "ripped off" we'd be happy to refund your donation. None of the changes were meant to make anyone feel taken advantage of. I think we are getting pretty close to a sustainable model. Sorry for the confusion.

Excuse me joecol911, I re-read my post and said nothing about being "ripped off", $10.00 is nothing to complain about. What I am looking for if you don't object are the BoD rules and why I was e-mailed a notice that "If I did not reply with in 24 hours" ? so back to my origional question "What do you want, what are your rules?

Not a personal attack? Nice approach man. I shelled out the ten beans my questions asked. Best site out there for these trucks.

AGP Turbo, This is not a personal attack on anyone, sorry you don't like my approach and don't brag, you were not the only member that donated $10. which was never my complaint.

Thanks notlimah,

If you do research on Dodge/Cummins forums today majority of them now are Corporation Owned. There is only a handful of forums left that are privately owned like myself.

That's easy and the newer generation truck owners can do this so easy. Just come to the site and product a article on how to fix something or how to install a product. That how the whole site was started. But sadly there is very few people that want to take the time shoot photos and write up a article on how to do something.

Flow wise I've got that handled. I'm been focusing on keeping up to date on Google requirements and now I've got several search queries now where I'm in #1 position. Surprisingly enough I beat everyone vendors, CF.com and #1 position for handful or more searches. A good majority of the information can be found at least on the 1st and 2nd page of Google.

https://www.google.com/webhp#q=2nd+gen+turbo+upgrade

So its just a matter of getting people willing to produce articles and write ups on different products. The forum is not the strong point, it's the article database.  The forum is the place the people can come together and create a writeups and verify the information. Then the author can compile this all and actually create the final article. That how 99% of my articles come to be. Like the torque converter lockup and alternator noise. Which lead to new finding and solutions as well.

That's the sad part. Everyone expects everything for free from the web anymore. Like when I got the Classified Ad plugin for the site I wanted to charge a small fee for posting ads to create some income for the site. But I was meet with everyone saying that... "Why? There is CraigsList and other places to advertise for free." So money was spent for the software to make my life easier but again no profit made from it. But I still pay a 6 months maintenance fees for all this too. So this why there is a period of growing pains. This why I had to create BoD so there was more points of view and interaction with member base. But we are still trying to produce a set of "By-Laws" that will insure the future of the site by interacting with the membership pool. So all in all the membership pool and BoD will be the factor of what this site is going to be like.

I already got artwork for a shirt. Which to this day I wear for travel shirt.

Then I got new artwork for the windshield banner. Which can be scaled to fit a bumper or a rear window.

That's another thing I learned in all this... Vector art.

Thank you. Like I said long ago in this thread this whole web site was a mistake wasn't suppose to happen. That why the domain name is my nickname because it was just my personal notebook. But here I am 10 years later and growing.

I for one REALLY like this site and am willing to donate for it. Hope some day to buy the tee shirt and banner. [i know they were gifts] but would like to get them some day. Keep up the good work Mike.

• Like 2