• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2005, Cranking No Start, No Communication at all, No gauges, No low beams as of a week.

Died while driving. Cranks, No start, No communication with any scanner. (tried 3 )

No gauges, No tach, No low beams as of a couple weeks ago..

Checked for power at PCM, - Pcm had 12 volts at the Two main PCM feed circuits.

We unplugged the fan clutch, disconnected the batteries, touched + & - together for ten minutes with the key on. Reconnected – no changes.

Checked every single fuse.

Added engine grounds, cleaned all positive terminals.

REMOVED, disassembled entire TIPM. Cleaned all TIPM contacts internally.

TIPM had no visible corrosion, No visible cracked solders, no visible cracked pathways. had a lot of dust, some oxidation on the main power wires, some oxidation on the terminals and where the boards make contact.

No changes. Still no com-no start. - no low beams.

I have fixed several older cars computers at board level, this ain't my first rodeo but it was my first dodge Gen 3 TIPM !

Checked grounds, clean.

No changes.

I may not have internet where im about to go work on it ,If someone knows and they can text me.. .210 six one four - one four for fore. 

I had mine die once when I was driving.  I was on the freeway on a trip and I was driving at 65mph.

I lost the lift pump and the engine just shut down and I had to coast over to the side of the road.

I could crank but it wouldn't start so I had to be towed in.  I have gauges so I suspected the lift pump but didn't know for sure.

No other electrical problems occurred during this situation.

I lost the cam position sensor one time and the engine would not start for me.  Changed it out and everything was fine.

But I still didn't loose any other electrical function that I recognized.

:think:

Try the key on-off-on-off-on-off-on trick and see if anything shows on the dash. 

It sounds like the ECM failed. 

Wow!!!!!

I would maybe expect that condition up here in the "rust belt" due to the salt/chemicals used on the roads here in the Winter destroying the wiring, etc.

Edited by dorkweed

the PCM did die.  It was the pcms internal power circuit.

this company rebuilt it for $137, took forever to find them!

SIA Electronics has many other repairs available.  

(800)737-0915

SIA Electronics

730 N. Minnie St.

PO Box 392

Tilden, IL 62292

• Like 2

the PCM did die.  It was the pcms internal power circuit.

this company rebuilt it for $137, took forever to find them!

SIA Electronics has many other repairs available.  

(800)737-0915

SIA Electronics

730 N. Minnie St.

PO Box 392

Tilden, IL 62292

Who pointed you to that company or how did you find out about them?

• 1 month later...

Was it the PCM or the ECU? I'm very curious because mine is doing the exact same thing minus the headlight problem and mine is a 2007 with 6.7L. Mine went to WOT and I kicked it to neutral and killed the key. It has yet to start back. Engine will turn over but no communication and also on my gauge cluster the check gauges light is on and my PRND indicator is not lighting up. luckily at my current job we have a 66,000# rollback. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. 

Was it the PCM or the ECU? I'm very curious because mine is doing the exact same thing minus the headlight problem and mine is a 2007 with 6.7L. Mine went to WOT and I kicked it to neutral and killed the key. It has yet to start back. Engine will turn over but no communication and also on my gauge cluster the check gauges light is on and my PRND indicator is not lighting up. luckily at my current job we have a 66,000# rollback. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. 

I may be wrong on this but I believe 2nd gens have a PCM and the ECM.. 3rd gens only have the ECM?  Virtually every modern vehicle communicates data or information to and from the ECM through a can bus network. Any sensor on the vehicle that is not communicating, or the information is out of range will set a code in the ECM. If the ECM has lost communication with the network? I would identify the data wires and the connections to the ECM first.

The company I work for uses a J1939 network which you normally see 2.5 -2.8 volts on the high side and 2.2-2.4 volts on the low side. this will only tell you the network is not shorted.. Lost communication will likely be a connection, a bad wire, or possibly a bad ECM.

Im a professional mechanic. without seeing it, data scoping or logging it, and getting a feel for more info, history, etc...I DONT KNOW.  if the lets just say "dee brain" isnt going online - no obd comm at all,  after checking ALL fuses & fusable links, I would just send it to that company I listed above. If its not the brains power circuit, etc, whatever else, they will send it back for postage only. Im calling it dee brain because in my vocab, the ecm & pcm are the same dam thing.

I DO NOT specialize in dodge., I do mostly vehicle electrical.  For any further elecrical support, sorry..Im a busy guy , I book apointments or charge by the hour for tech support..

so far that company has fixed two dodge brains for me very cheap. excellent work. trucks have been running great.  Most other brain places wanted 3-10x as much dough.

Olred, I would be really interested in hearing what you find out.. particularly what caused the runaway situation. I`m just grasping at straws here, but I`m wondering if the emergency shut down procedure you had to do may have locked up the ECM?? Could you try disconnecting the battery cables and see if it will reset?  Have you hooked up a scan tool that is telling you there is no communication?