• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

OBDLink LX and Android Tablet

• Owner

Since I've been a big pusher of the ScanGauge II I'm now moving away from them. Being I picked up a Android Tablet for working on the web site I figured I would now pick up a OBDLink LX Bluetooth for diagnostics and also enhanced data. Like SmartyTouch has enhanced data like fuel temp and other things like Quadzilla and Edge does too. So if a person wants this information your stuck buying a expensive product. Now I'm working to get this data for the Common Joe.

Here is what I've got...

http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

Now here is the documents I've found for this project.

saeJ1979_2006-08-25Ballot.pdf

ISB_TROUBLESHOOTING_VOL_2.pdf

54262388-Cummins-Isb-Chrysler-FIS3666288.pdf

ELM327DSF.pdf

SAE J2178_2v002.pdf

K-line communication description_V3 0(1).pdf

Now I got to start probing the ECM for the data I'm looking for. I'll keep posting information as I find it. :wink:

Just a quick screen shot of the stock OBDLink Software and the few gauges.

post-1-0-25643600-1428880039_thumb.png

• Like 2

Seems do the same things as the "torque pro" app, only OBDLink is proprietary and only works with their own OBDII adapters, I like torque since you can pick up just about and any standard OBDII -> Bluetooth adapter and plug it in and see everything.

I use my Bluetooth adapter and torque pro for all the diagnostics I do on OBDII vehicles anymore since its so handy. (mind you I don't do to much of it since I mainly work on semi trucks)

• Owner

So far the Torque App only see speed and RPM that's it. Can't see coolant temp, IAT temp, etc. At least with the OBDLink it will run through the PID's searching for active data. My problem is now digging into the enhanced data and what mode number and what the PID's are. So far just trying to do a second coolant gauge (Custom PID) comes up dead. I've got two documents up there with PID's and one is in decimal and the other is in hexadecimal. Now my question is when entering information is it entered in decimal or hexadecimal? Digging the internal for documents for any of these apps is pretty thin. If I can just figure out one gauge then I'll know the format...

Its strange that torque only sees speed and RPM... even on my old 12v I can see speed, RPM, IAT, and voltage. Coolant temp reads awell but its not right (-40* all the time iirc) but I don't think the coolant temp even runs through the PCM on a 12v, will have to look at the wiring diagram. EDIT: just checked and it doesn't run through the PCM on a 12v, wire goes right to the gauge.

Also I'm not sure about OBDlink but in torque it uses hex for the PID's

Edited by bjytech

They are less than $70 on amazon and if you already have a smart phone or tablet is seems like a nice way to go.

Why do I have an urge to spend money after every post I read on this site? :ahhh:

Edited by Hawkez
  • Like 1

• Owner

They are less than $70 on amazon and if you already have a smart phone or tablet is seems like a nice way to go.

Why do I have an urge to spend money after every post I read on this site? :ahhh:

Now I had a long discussion with Yankneck696 about this. Yes, Yankneck696 has one as well he uses for diagnostic work. The OBDLink LX is the one you want unless you plan on using it for new Fords and GM products then you need the OBDLink MX which covers the newer Fords and GM products. Now there is more to this the OBDLink LX has the ability of working with a terminal (modem terminal) and taking custom commands to dig deeper into your ECM/PCM looking for information.

My current challenge is getting a grip on the Cummins hidden information and where its at. But first thing first get the hang of producing a common gauge like coolant and understanding the PID's and MODE's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

Thing is there is very little if any information on the web for the dodge Cummins in the way of PID information and very few people are even using this method of data reading. So I'm working at compiling information ASAP for the group here. I'm hoping to get other involved to start a list for 3rd and 4th Gen too. Another factor was Cowboy and his custom setup for 12V so when I start studying about the Bluetooth dongles I jump in with both feet and moved foreward.

As for softwares for Android...

Torque

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

DashCommand

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palmerperformance.DashCommand&hl=en

OBDLink - FREE app for OBDLink owners fully unlocked.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=OCTech.Mobile.Applications.OBDLink&hl=en

Thing I love is.. The Android Tablet is Linux based, my home computers are all Linux based... :linux:

So far I've got much more power and control over the OBDLink compared to ScanGauge II which seem so limited now. :duh:

I have been seeing the Torq app as well on the TDI sites and they seem to show a ton of data for them including egts as it is monitored for the DPF regen systems. The 2014 Jetta has no useful gauges at all anymore, tach, speedo and fuel gauge is it., wife has a smart phone I was going to try it with some day just to play.

I have heard that Chrysler uses non standard pins for reporting some data over OBDII (that may use pin X where the standard would be pin Y for example)

Not sure how they got away with it but they did.

Edited by bjytech

• Owner

Umm... pin 5 is a ground lead.  Pin 3 is the CCD Network.

ODBII%20Master%20Pinout.jpg

CCD-Network-Wiring.jpg

I know for sure now its just I'm entering something wrong. Like on both trucks they both report IAT temperatures as a provided gauge. But creating a custom PID and attempt to read data and the same thing every time "No Data Received". So I'm missing something. :think:

• Owner

To simplify the learning curve I started with the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with only the PCM to find. I've got to say "SUCCESS!" I figured out how to address a simple gauge like "Tachometer".

post-1-0-24034400-1429033977_thumb.png

The 1996 Dodge follows the PID listing for the ISO 9141-2. Take notice the module/header is 104. This is decimal for hexadecimal 68.

Now to move over to the diesel and try again... Then dig deeper into the dark corners of that ECM (Evil Laugh)... I'm going to keep moving forward.

Like what I found in the SAE doc...

post-1-0-86966700-1429034654_thumb.png