• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Amsoil intake fail

Well, looks like my Amsoil can't hack it! I'm pretty dissapointed with this as I'd only read and heard good things about this filter before installing it, with the only failures or negative comments coming from a guy who was running twins. Either way, my truck has no tuning and exhaust only so it's hard to think that a truck in pretty much stock form could do this to a 'premium' air filter!

Anyone know a place I can pick up a BHAF on the cheap?!

f3tisl.jpg

10fdh0p.jpg

• Staff

The Amsoil filters are not washed, or washable. 

That looks like it didn't fit in the engine bay, or it made contact with something after being installed and is not damaged from being "sucked down".

Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but that doesn't look like a 4510. 

• Like 2

Sorry guys, I probably should have approached this a little different. I was assuming that the filter was not supposed to end up looking like this and had failed when I should have asked for reasons why it could be like this due to other reasons, which you guys provided.

The filter is and has been supported so it hitting something isn't likely.

It does fit in the engine as far as I'd say, but I'm no mechanic.

It is in fact a 4510 as per the sales receipt and matching pictures on the web.

So that leaves me with running this filter without a heat shield. :doh:  Dumb, I know, but I was in the process of getting a heat shield made and just never got around to it.

Either way, I bought this filter before I joined this forum and that would've lead to me purchasing a different filter altogether. Didn't mean to bash a product or try and talk bad about it. I'm learning as I got when it comes to a lot of these things on this truck! Thanks for the replies!

The main reason I chose to get this filter over the paper BHAF was due to the fact it seemed like it was a better quality part. If this damage is in fact due to it not having a heat shield then it's completely my fault. Then my question is, is the damage or whatever you want to call it shown in the picture enough to warrant a new one? Or is it ok to continue using?

I don't have a zoomed out pic but it is identical to this PIC.

• Owner

The Amsoil filters are not washed, or washable. 

That looked very similar to a filter a vendor sent to me to try but when I got the filter it already had the standard pin holes like K&N filter does. From the picture it appears to be a standard washable media filter. So my bad on that...

But I wonder what the price of the filter vs. the life span before being consumed now? Being its not washable how many miles will it go before pulling a water column vacuum on the filter?

As for the damage if there is no holes visible I say go for it. But if the media was distorted enough to create a pin hole I say replace it.

EDIT: Looking back at the picture. You didn't rotate the filter did you? If you didn't move it then I would say its possibly been sucked down. But if you did rotate it from the bottom then I would say it was damaged from beating against the fender. I can't see getting damage on the top of the filter unless it stands taller than a BHAF which mine barely rubs the hood near the firewall. But still mine is not tied down and not distorting.

Yea the distortion is on the side facing the turbo, so not touching the bottom, that's what got me thinking that maybe it was heat induced, causing the material to break down prematurely and weaken it. It seems a little weird to think that if it were to be damaged because of too much suction that it would happen on that side of the filter and not the top or bottom which is much more flat and weaker.

• Staff

Donalson makes most, if not all, of those filters.

Metal gets soft whe in gets hot, and a 1200° manifold will put out some heat. It's one of the main reasons I think BHAFs are a horrible idea, I want to feed my turbo ambient temp air and not overheated engine bay air.

I've been running a amsoil EAAU4095 filter on my truck since march 2013 and I have yet to see it pull the filterminder down at all. I really like the filter. (had a amsoil filter on my old truck as well for 2 years before I sold it)

As for the deformation on your filter it really looks like it got crushed against something to me.

Edited by bjytech

Definitely all valid points here, it's just hard to really say what it was exactly.

There isn't any melting or discoloration so that's tough to say its heat

Even if I unstrap the filter and move it around there's no where for it to bend or bump into anything where the indentations are on the filter

The hood is definitely not touching it as I gave my hood an unintended raise when I forgot to fully latch it down and took off down the highway  :doh:  :doh:  :doh: 

So I'm really only left with it being being pulled in under boost, but even that doesn't really make sense either since I'm on stock boost!

Has anybody else worked on your truck?  Installed a battery or ?? 

The last time, I had mine into the dealer...  and never will again...  idiots didn't latch the hood properly.  I know this because I left there & went up the highway ramp...  about the time I hit 50 the F %$# n hood flew up.  Bent the hinges all to crap.  Their guy put a hand on the fender & used brute strength to get the hinges to close so I could drive it back.  And I found the dent from his hand in my fender after.  The dealer lied like a bastard & blamed it on as sticky catch & warenteed it.  So Chrysler paid for new hinges.  But it never hung on on me before or after...  they just greased the damn latch.  My truck was not included in the recall.   

Back to the story...  I later found the stock airbox had been leaned on and broken...  and concealed.  I super glued it & still have it.   Bastards.   I have a long list of shops that'll never see any of my vehicles again. 

Sooo if somebody else worked on your truck, they might have bumped your filter, denting it...

Edited by flagmanruss

Has anybody else worked on your truck?  Installed a battery or ?? 

The last time, I had mine into the dealer...  and never will again...  idiots didn't latch the hood properly.  I know this because I left there & went up the highway ramp...  about the time I hit 50 the F %$# n hood flew up.  Bent the hinges all to crap.  Their guy put a hand on the fender & used brute strength to get the hinges to close so I could drive it back.  And I found the dent from his hand in my fender after.  The dealer lied like a bastard & blamed it on as sticky catch & warenteed it.  So Chrysler paid for new hinges.  But it never hung on on me before or after...  they just greased the damn latch.  My truck was not included in the recall.   

Back to the story...  I later found the stock airbox had been leaned on and broken...  and concealed.  I super glued it & still have it.   Bastards.   I have a long list of shops that'll never see any of my vehicles again. 

Sooo if somebody else worked on your truck, they might have bumped your filter, denting it...

Great experiences here too. Told this tire shop to rebalance my wheels...they never did and said they did, no weights anywhere, so I got centramatics. And someone bent up my new hub covers, can't point my fingers because my truck was at the tire shop and Dodge dealer within a couple days of each other...sorry, rant.