• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cummins swap

98whitelightnin

Was at a buddies tractor shop today and some guys pulled up in a 2005 or so F-550 but this was no ordinary 6.0, it had a cummins in it. They had nothing but problems out of the old 6.0 so they swapped a ve powered cummins from a 1989 dodge in it. Had banks inter cooler system but everything else was stock. He used the ford transmission and all, said the a/c worked as did everything else. He was really proud of his truck.

post-265-0-88701600-1429142341_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-08486900-1429142390_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I like a cummins swap just as much as anyone but I've seen this one done quite a few times and it bothers me. I know the 6.0 has some issues but for the time and money spent to do this swap you can have a very reliable bullet proofed 6.0. I'm not a powerstroke lover by any means but to to swap out for like 180 hp seems kinda silly.

Back a few years ago my dad had some trouble with the HPOP in his 99 F-450 with the 7.3L and after the money he had to put into that engine to get it going again he wishes he would have just swapped the cummins out of his old 91 dodge into his ford, it would have been cheaper for him and gave him more power. His 7.3 is a turd for some reason, always has been. his old dodge with 2000lb behind it could out pull his ford empty up a hill with ease, heck one hill around here it cant even stay the speed limit when empty going up it and I can pull it with a whole skid of shingles in the back of my truck at 55 and keep my EGT's in check.

I like a cummins swap just as much as anyone but I've seen this one done quite a few times and it bothers me. I know the 6.0 has some issues but for the time and money spent to do this swap you can have a very reliable bullet proofed 6.0. I'm not a powerstroke lover by any means but to to swap out for like 180 hp seems kinda silly.

You may think differently if you were another victim of the sick oh. My buddy who "bulletproofed" his a few years back is sitting in his barn waiting on him to find the time to do ANOTHER HG. Hes spent so much money on that truck I actually feel bad for him.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 4/21/2015 at 1:29 AM, diesel4life said:

You may think differently if you were another victim of the sick oh. My buddy who "bulletproofed" his a few years back is sitting in his barn waiting on him to find the time to do ANOTHER HG. Hes spent so much money on that truck I actually feel bad for him.

I built my sick o, 3 times and it finally made me PUKE!! I'm a die-hard blue oval man, but I did the swap with an 02 Cummins and love it. I will say that my 6o was built, studded, and pushing 600+hp. Now off the line it would get the jump on what I have now. With that said, the twin turbos light in this Cummins and it's caddy bar the doors, hold on tight. Haven't had it on a Dyno yet but I'm sure it is more than the sick o had. But this is my 2¢ worth. Love the fummins!!

11 hours ago, rotory26 said:

So I bought a low mile 6.7 but it turns out the ECMs don’t like living in anything else than where they came from. Has anyone done a swap successfully using a different ECM.

Thanks Greg

Only thing I can tell you is talk to DCS. Diesel Conversion specialties. I know they have done it, but if I recall, you need the steering column because there is a module that is in it to get it to run. Something like the PATS system on Ford's.