• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My truck died on the hiway today(2000 ram 2500 diesel, auto). I did the key trick and the code P1693 showed up along with the code P1682. I believe P1682 has to do with a voltage problem. Where do I start with this? Maybe an external voltage regulator is needed? Am I on the right track and why would the truck just shut off and still have enough juice to turn over at a normal rate? Any help or thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

I would get a code reader on there and you will get more codes the key trick is good on some trucks and sketchy on others I dono y but it seems like my sucks but I'd get a code reader for sure and see. what's your fuel pres. And what's all done to the truck

I'm not sure what my fuel pressure is (no guage) but i do have fuel to the injectors. I know this by cracking an injector and cranking it over and saw fuel there. As far as what is done to the truck-just 4" aero turbine exhaust and edge comp chip, pillar gauges tranny temp,egt & boost

I would get a fuel pres gauge and codes read you will find more codes for sure. Do you have fuel coming out of all the injector lines cause ive seen vp44 fail and still have fuel coming out like 2 injectors and the way it just died that could be ur problem the injection pump is lubed by the lift pump if that gos out ur inj pump will go that is why a fuel psi gauge is a MUST HAVE did it run funny befor it died power loss cutout any thing crazy. But with runing a comp and stock lift pump I bet ur inj pump is gone but I'd get a code reader on it and that will tell u more p1693 is just saying there is more codes on there

ive seen lift pumps go out 3 months after being new and if you can hear it runing that dont mean its working the p1682 code ive seen befor on my buddys truck and it is a charging prob but what throws me is your truck wont start and it has good cranking power cause my buddy would just shut off his truck and restart it and it would goaway for a few weeks turned out to be a loose wire going to pdc under the hood but i think there is more codes on there but i may be wrong cause his truck never died his amps gauge would just go to 0 and his check engine light would come on autozone will read the codes for free but u gotta get the truck downthere to test it or find one and the truck will seem to run ok with a bad lift pump then all at once the truck dies and ya find out the faulty lift pump knocked out the inj pump and im not saying thats your prob im just saying that is how it hapens and it wouldent put me in a great deal of shock if that was it but i think id start off checking fuses under hood and in cab get a code reader and check fuel pres keep me posted

Dodgepwr is right about the codes. If you did the key trick and only got 1 "done" then you only got codes from 1 computer. You need to get the other codes. As well, just because you hear the lift pump doesn't mean anything. Do this test to see if it is working properly: http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/lift-pump-diag/lift-pump-diag.htm I would check that the batteries are fully charged, all the connections are clean and tight, and then take the truck down to a parts store and have them check the alternator to see if that is the cause of the 1682.

• Owner

My truck died on the hiway today(2000 ram 2500 diesel, auto). I did the key trick and the code P1693 showed up along with the code P1682. I believe P1682 has to do with a voltage problem.

Yes The charging voltage is low.

Where do I start with this?

Have the alternator and batteries tested.

Maybe an external voltage regulator is needed?

There is nothing yet pointing to the PCM has failed... It could be brushes in the alternator, it could be the alternator fuse is blown, it could be diode(s) are bad, etc...

Am I on the right track and why would the truck just shut off and still have enough juice to turn over at a normal rate? Any help or thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

I would test out everything first...

Atually, Cummins minimum fuel pressure requirements for our trucks is 10 psi. But, remember the check valve doesn't open up until 14 psi. So, if you are constantly running anything less than the 14 psi you are not giving the VP and extra fuel to cool down.

• Owner

Atually, Cummins minimum fuel pressure requirements for our trucks is 10 psi. But, remember the check valve doesn't open up until 14 psi. So, if you are constantly running anything less than the 14 psi you are not giving the VP and extra fuel to cool down.

I'm starting to suggest the new minimum pressure be 14 PSI... Then max will be still the same at 20 PSI...

When I was at goff injection the showed me in a manual that boch was olny calling for like .4 bar witch equals out to just under 5 lbs and the machine they test the vp's on runs a solid 5 lbs and that's like a 70,000 doller unit but I don't think I would let it go lower then 10 lbs so I'm not sayin your wrong cause I've heard that same thing a ton but what I seen in the manual kinda changed my mind blue chip diesel says the same thing and they also say to NOT run over 15 lbs and that's stupid to me I like running 24 at idal and the lowest I see is 17 wot but that's how I like it

When I was at goff injection the showed me in a manual that boch was olny calling for like .4 bar witch equals out to just under 5 lbs and the machine they test the vp's on runs a solid 5 lbs and that's like a 70,000 doller unit but I don't think I would let it go lower then 10 lbs so I'm not sayin your wrong cause I've heard that same thing a ton but what I seen in the manual kinda changed my mind blue chip diesel says the same thing and they also say to NOT run over 15 lbs and that's stupid to me I like running 24 at idal and the lowest I see is 17 wot but that's how I like it

I thought anything over 20psi would eventually rupture the diafram in the VP Pump????

• Owner

I thought anything over 20psi would eventually rupture the diafram in the VP Pump????

I know a of a few people running 12V mechanical fuel pumps up to 40 PSI on a VP44... What rupture the diaphram is LOW pressure. Bosch or rebuilt shop will not warranty a pump that has a torn diaphram because that is proof of low to ZERO pressure. I'm like DodgePwr I prefer to see pressures above 14 PSI all the time... That way I know there is contant flow past the VP44 electronics and it stay cool. Not to mention running 15-17 PSI now for over 2.5 years has hurt a thing. But the life span of the VP44 is sure long... (116K miles and stilll going strong!)