• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New tire recommendations

I'm running 265/75-16 tires. BFG KO's. I'm at 50,000 miles on these and they're almost bald. Any other semi aggressive tire recommendations out there? I run one set year round. 90% street use and 10% hunting on gravel roads, snow, etc.. Prefer tires with the snowflake so they're rated as traction devices.

I bought the Cooper Discoverer AT3.  Too soon to tell on this install but my last Cooper Discoverers wore like iron.  I selected these for the open tread design.  I also run one set year round.

Edited by flagmanruss
  • Like 1

i love me some BFG's as i share the name. 

cooper has a 55K mile warranty.

i have the cooper ATP from discount tire, with 20K on them they look new still, time will tell.

my next set will me Michelin LTX MS/2

in your size....

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/265/75/16/123/R.html

they have a 70K miles.

My dad got 92K on a set with his Duramax. they do fine hunting and snow travel here in AZ. most excellent tire.

with you only using 10% off road. i would jump on these.

Same problem with a set of BFG LT265/70R-17 on a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500.  With only 21,000 miles on them they are almost ready to be replaced.  75% Highway, 25% dirt road/off road. They might make it another 9,000. Thankfully they have a 55,000 mile warranty so I can get a credit for the next set from Discount tire. BF Goodrich AT's were really high quality before, but it seems like their quality has diminished. I think I'll try a set of Michelin tires like Killer 223 recommends.      

My coworker runs those michelin's and he likes them.  Too rich for my blood.

I have been running Kenda Kevlar k29's 235-85-16 for about 5k now.  I like them and they were ~$400 shipped plus another $60 to mount and balance.  They are heavy, but they grip well and seem to handle the dirt mountain roads/trails I find well.   

Stay away from Bridgestone dueler Revos. If you spend any time in the snow or even slightly wet pavement you'll probably get stuck. I'm running Firestone Transforce AT now and I'd say they're a pretty good all around tire. They're fairly inexpensive and perform well but not great. I have read a lot of good reviews about the cooper discover, I think those will be my next set of tires.

I bought the Cooper Discoverer AT3.  Too soon to tell on this install but my last Cooper Discoverers wore like iron.  I selected these for the open tread design.  I also run one set year round.

I have 69,000 on my AT3's in size LT265/70 17E.  Should easily get 80,000 out of them.

That's great tread life but how's the traction?

Fine for what I drive in.  They're good in snow, fair in mud, good on gravel, good on dry roads, good on wet roads.  They're also quite quiet for an AT tire.  They won't make you deaf listening to them sing going down the road.

having both the the cooper AT3's and the discount tire only ATP. i like the ATP better. i have the at3's on my toyota 31.10.50 and the atp's on my dodge in 285.70.17E

the coopers are also made in usa. few weeks ago they were 680 a set with 70$ rebate debit card. can't beat that with a stick. i do like the coopers atp's.

the at3's are noisier then the atp's in my application. now they are not bad by any means, but they are louder then the atp's.

if your unhappy with the bfg's you might want to stray from the Michelin as they are the same company. totally different tread design however

is all comes down to what you want. if you want MPG's and long tread life look into the LTX ms'2 and or the cooper HT.

a closed shoulder tread design will yield better mpg's

the transforce at's are great tire my sister loves hers on her 06 duramax. said to get 80+K out fo them. i'm not sure the size. 

• Like 1

i like cooper's made in the USA. the LTXMS2 are a GREAT tire and slightly cheeper then the bfg's.

the cooper HT and HT2's are also GREAT tires. and alot more affordable

if you rarely go off road in the mud, then the coopers is my choice. if you ever see decent mud then the Michelin  or the ATP/AT3. win out.

• Like 1

I love my Nitto Dura Grapplers. So far about 10k on them, and they still look like new. Agreesive appearance, smooth quiet ride and very stable towing the 5th wheel. I did a lot of research before buying these, and I'm pretty confident I'll buy them again. Mine have the dura belt warranty as well.

I love me some BFG's as I share the name. ....... 

My next set will be Michelin LTX MS/2. ......

in your size....

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/265/75/16/123/R.html

they have a 70K miles.

My dad got 92K on a set with his Duramax. they do fine hunting and snow travel here in AZ. most excellent tire.

with you only using 10% off road. i would jump on these.

Just put new rubber on both trucks ....

'91.5 W250 ...... BFGoodrich KO2's 265 x 75R-16E ...... seem ok so far

'02 2500 4x4 .... Michelin LTX M/S2 ...... 285 x 75R-16E .... smoothest, most quiet tire I've ever run .... mostly pavement miles for this truck.

I am going to put a set of retreads on my 2010 1500 Hemi this fall, I know people who run them personally and read of a lot of others on the forums and have never heard one thing bad about their product.

https://www.treadwright.com/

These are the ones I am going to get from them.

Other than that I have been having awesome luck with the Hankook Dynapro ATM, they seem to be the most popular tire in my area for several years now, I love them on my 05, great all around traction and they are wearing extremely nice.