• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bad tire wear, bad track bar

Well I am trying to figure out why my Ram started to eat the front tires. The truck is basically all stock replacement parts except the ball joints and track bar. The ball joints and track bar are all Moog parts. I jacked up the front end and did the typical 12 and 6 o'clock test to see if there was any play in the hub or ball joints and couldn't manage to see anything even when using a pipe under the tire. The only thing that really stuck out to me was the track bar. When on the ground you can visually see the gap increase between chassis mount and the ball stud in the track bar. The symptoms the truck has is the steering wheel is off by about 1/3 turn toward the drivers side of the truck, yet the truck tries to dart towards the passenger side when the steering wheel let go of. I also feel a clunk when turning, just one clunk and it can be felt in the floor boards and steering wheel. At a stop I can recreate this clunk by turning the steering wheel left. When I accelerate from a dead stop I also feel this clunk, once again just one and it can be felt in the floor board.

When I bring the truck up to highway speed I get a hollow knock, also felt in the floor pan. No real death wobble, yet. But this knock definitely changes with the condition of the roads and road speed. Bumpy highways increase the frequency of the knock as does road speed. The truck is also wandering a lot.

The track bar was replaced by a previous owner it is a 2" Moog bar so using Luke's Links is out of the question. The only thing I can think of right now is the track bar is allowing the axle to move toward the passenger causing the toe to change on both wheels hence the stair stepping and balding of the passenger side tire.

Anyone have any other advice, possibly something I should have but didn't check. I know this track bar has met the end of it's days but I really want to get rid of this tire wear. Buy 6 tires isn't cheap!

(Sorry for the size of the pics, not sure how to resize them with forum code)

Video of track bar play (Watch the upper portion of the screen for the track bar ball stud, much easier to see fullscreen it's a crappy vid)

Posted Image

Passenger Side Tire

Posted Image

Posted Image

Drivers side tire

Posted Image

Posted Image

were you driving my truck? i'm still on the stock track bar(i think), moog "problem solver" balljoints, and have the same symptoms. the passenger tire wear, the "knock" felt in the floor pan(well i feel it in the gas pedal unless i road on the passenger side) and the steering wheel is off center. my truck is 2wd. typically i take it to acme wheel and they align the steering wheel and and compare mpgs to his 1ton