• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pcm Question '92

Crooked7s

Hey guys, this is my first post, but I have been searching and reading this forum for a few years now.

I acquired a 92 dodge (see sig below) cheap because it wouldn't charge. I replaced the alternator and PCM. Then replaced the ducks foot with maxi fuses etc. in that order. My question is: after I replaced the PCM, the PCM would continue to hum after the key was turned off. After I rewired everything today, the PCM continues to hum with the key off. If I pull the neg battery terminal it stops obviously. If I pull the 30A fuse for Circuit A14 the hum will stop. It takes me cycling the key to get it to start humming again. It doesn't seem to time out. Is this normal?

Thanks.

I'm wondering if I just have a bad or malfunctioning ECM.  It's a reman from O'Reilly's.  Can anyone with a 1st Gen please see if their PCM has a hum to it after you cycle the key?  It's not very loud, but noticeable with the hood up.  

Thanks,

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I've never herd of a hum but if i remember correctly the first Gens had a voltage regulator for the alternator and when they start to go bad they hum its a thin silver box with a triangle connector and 2 wires one green and one blue. I would check that and see if it is loose the body of ii is the ground and sometimes when they come loose they don't get a good ground and can cause charging issues and some weird voltage issues. If you have a volt meter check the batteries and see if you have 13-14 volts at the battery with it running.

Thank you mulcher812.

I ordered a new pcm, replaced it last night, and that fixed the problem. Now that all the electrical problems are fixed.....onto everything that is leaking. The joys of having a truck sit for 2 years.

• 5 months later...