P0711 TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR PERFORMANCE
When Monitored and Set Condition:
When Monitored: Continuously with the ignition on and engine running.
Set Condition: This DTC will set when the desired transmission temperature does not reach a normal operating temperature within a given time frame. Time is variable due to ambient temperature. Approximate times are starting temperature to warm up time: (-40° F / -40° C - 35 min) (-20° F / -28° C - 25 min) (20° F / -6.6° C - 20 min) (60° F / 15.5 ° C -10 min)
- RELATED DTC'S PRESENT
- TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR
- POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
- INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS
NOTE: Low fluid level can be the cause of many transmission problems. If the fluid level is low locate and repair the leak then check and adjust the fluid level. Refer to appropriate AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION article.
NOTE: Always perform diagnostics with a fully charged battery to avoid false symptoms.
NOTE: Diagnose 1 Trip Failures as a fully matured DTC.
NOTE: Verify flash level of Powertrain Controller. Some problems are corrected by software upgrades to the Transmission and Engine Systems.
NOTE: Due to the integration of the Powertrain and Transmission control modules - if a controller flash is performed it is necessary to perform STANDARD PROCEDURE - TCM QUICK LEARN and the STANDARD PROCEDURE - DRIVE LEARN . Failure to do so may result in shift quality complaints.
NOTE: Check for applicable TSB's that may apply.
- With the DRBIII(R), read the engine DTC's. Check and repair all Engine DTC's prior to performing Transmission symptom diagnostics. With the DRBIII(R), read Transmission DTC's. Record all DTC's and 1 Trip Failures. Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors. Repair as necessary. Perform the Shift Lever Position Test. If the test does not pass, refer to Symptom test for SYMPTOM: P0706-CHECK SHIFTER SIGNAL . For Gear Ratio DTC's, check and record all CVI's. Most DTC's set on start up but some must be set by driving the vehicle to ensure that all diagnostic monitors have run. Perform this procedure prior to Symptom diagnosis. Continue Go To 2
With the DRBIII(R), check Transmission DTCs. Are there any other Transmission Temperature Sensor related DTCs present?
Yes --> Refer to the Transmission Category and perform the appropriate symptom. Perform (NGC) 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1 .
No --> Go To 3
With the DRBIII(R), Check the STARTS SINCE SET counter for P0711.
NOTE: This counter only applies to the last DTC set.
Is the STARTS SINCE SET counter 2 or less?
Yes --> Go To 4
No --> Go To 7
Turn the ignition off to the lock position. Remove the Starter Relay.
NOTE: Removal of the Starter Relay is to prevent a Transmission, NO RESPONSE, condition and disable the starter. Install the Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333.
NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.
Ignition on, engine not running. With the Transmission Simulator, turn the Input/Output switch to OFF. With the DRBIII(R), monitor the TRANS TEMP VOLTS while turning the Thermistor Voltage switch to all three positions on the Transmission Simulator. Compare the DRBIII(R) readings with the numbers listed on the Transmission Simulator. Do the readings on the Transmission Simulator match the DRBIII(R) readings +/- 0.2 volts?
Yes --> Go To 5
No --> Go To 6
If there are no possible causes remaining, view repair.
Replace Transmission Solenoid/TRS assembly. Refer to appropriate AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION article. Perform (NGC) 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1 .
- Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors. Repair as necessary. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If there are no possible causes remaining, view repair.
Replace the Powertrain Control Module and perform STANDARD PROCEDURE - TCM QUICK LEARN . Refer to ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES . Perform (NGC) 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1 .
The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time. Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit. Wiggle the wires while checking for shorted and open circuits. With the DRBIII(R), check the EATX DTC EVENT DATA to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set. Were there any problems found?
Yes --> Repair as necessary. Perform (NGC) 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1 .
No --> Test Complete.