• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2nd pressure solinoid in 2 mos !?

Ed's5.9

Hello guys and gals, as the title states I have gone through 2 pressure solinoids in the last 2 mos. I had my transmission fully built to handle more power about 4 mos ago, as soon as I got it back I threw in a new smarty touch, it ran great for about 3 mos and then I lost 1st and 2nd gear. Transmission was still under warranty so they checked it and replaced the pressure solinoid, problem solved
...temporarily at least... about a month later I am now having the same issue, no 1st or second gear. I can take it back to them and I'm sure they will replace it again at no cost but I am trying to figure out what could be the root of this repetative issue before going back to the shop and they tell me "bad pressure solinoid" again, swap it out and I'm back a month later continuing with this issue until warranty expires. Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

Edited by Ed's5.9

I will give them a call tomorrow and try to get more details in regards to what exactly went bad with the previouse pressure solinoid and what was replaced. Because I honestly dont know if they also replaced the transducer allong with solinoid, I was just really happy that it wasn't anything seriouse and that all it ended up costing me was the drive to their shop to get it fixed :ashamed:

Spoke to the mechanic at the shop today and he explained to me that they did not change the transducer because it was fine and they rarely have any issues with the heavy duty transducers they build those transmissions with. He also explained that he spoke to his Goerend rep and was told that this is a known issue that they are working on for the 3rd gens that are modded. He explained that there may be some modifications done to the teuck that may be interfering with electrical system causeing the voltage to spike and blow the solonoid. (Im no guru but i think that could be possible) so he is waiting to hear back from goerend with a more stable solution.

Edited by Ed's5.9

Got a call back from Todd at shop today, he gave me a quick summary of the issue and said it would be easier to explain once I'm there and I can see the parts. To my understanding my model truck works better with the older model solenoids (metal housing) but when the system detects the older model solenoid it starts to cause issues because of different chipset. To resolve this issue BD has created some type of harness to fool the truck into thinking it has the newer model solenoid while running the better performing older model. This is what I was able to gather from what he explained but I could have easily misunderstood something which is why he offered to go into more detail once I'm there to visually see what he is talking about. Not sure if I will be able to make it up to his shop this week but I'll keep you all posted.

Got the truck up to the transmission shop and they replaced the existing solenoid with a 98-99 unit that included the steel heat shield and added the BD adapter to make the 98-99 pressure solenoid get along with 04 ECM. Results are amazing so far, the transmission is shifting better than it ever has and regardless of where I am on the throttle the transmission now shifts no matter what!

Now for the time test, I will post in a few months to how things are going to see if this was indeed the final solution.