• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel solenoid failure/fire

My fuel shut down solenoid had a failure. At first the solenoid would hold but not pull up the plunger. I maually had to push the plunger up to in order to start. I replaced the relay and fuse link at the battery. I tuned the engine over and the pig tail of the solenoid caught fire. Lucky fire didn't spead beyond the wiring and plastic cover at the solenoid.

I decided to switch over to a manual cable cable setup vs OEM electric. Works great, see my write up on this conversion in this forum.

Posted Image

Did the relay stick to cause the solenoid to be pulling so much power? My daughter ran into that problem with her truck and it turned out to be the harness by the left shock coming from the PDC that had rubbed on the mount. That was a son-of-a-gun to find! Hey, just noticed you are from NE Ohio. Where at? I am pretty familiar with that area.

Thanks for your info. No, I replaced the relay with a new 70 amp. unit from Freightliner. The starter may have hung up when I bumped the starter. The bump may have been enough to fry may solenoid. My starter other wise has no symptoms of worn solenoid contacts or problems. I used the shorted solenoid as a base in my conversion to a manual cable setup. Now I won't have to be bothered with relays and all that to start and stop the engine. I kind of like the manual setup and low cost of repair.I live S/W of Cleveland. Not very many CTD in my area.