• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

United Kingdom VW Golf Diesel

Gerry R

We just returned from spending a month in the UK and driving about 2600 miles. While I have put almost a million miles on standard transmission cars I didn't like the thought of driving on the opposite side of the road AND trying to shift gears with my left hand in traffic so I asked for an automatic. When we arrived at the Alamo rental in south London (Kennington) the gentleman said that with the miles we had planned a diesel made the most sense so a practicaly new Golf was brought out. I should say that gas and diesel both sell for about 1.45 pounds / liter and with the pound selling for $1.62 that works out to a little over $9 per gallon. The car has a seven speed transmission that couldn't be faulted but is set so that when the car stops the engine quits till you let off the brake and it starts right back up, much like a Prius. I don't know if US versions do this. It got a very consistant 45 mpg, with about 2/3 road miles and the rest city. Though the US version of this car has a six speed automatic I would expect similar fuel consumption. The reserve fuel light came on when we had achieved 630-650 miles giving a range close to 800 miles. The only reason I'm relating this is because I feel this is a great little car that doesn't drive like a little car but gets wonderful mileage and is comfortable with a decent trunk.

This is why I told the wife a VW Diesel would be the ticket.Although, the european vehicles and us models differ in mpg. Up where we live, we also have to consider navigation through the snow. A low clearance FWD car usually is not the best solution up here.If only someone could create an AWD diesel SUV. Not a huge suv like a suburban or something. I have yet to see a vehicle like this.Subaru makes a diesel, but its a newer vehicle. I don't like the newer vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my golf. I drive 84 miles round trip to work, I get 50-52 mpg going the speed limit of 65. It's only a 5 speed (wish it had one more gear) but if you could find one for a decent price BUY IT, you could always sell it in a metro area and make a little $$$