• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

felpro front crank seal q's

In the box I got;

1 lip seal with plastic guide sleeve

1 seal install/driver/depth gauge

1 smaller thin seal (steel backed with rubber od and id) with same ID as crank OD, but smaller OD than cover hole

1 black rubber 'square profile' o ring that has same OD as cover hole

1 black rubber 'rectangular profile' o ring. Is this for the breather cap seal?

1 gear case gasket

Is any of this 'extra' stuff for the actual crank seal???

Ok, methinks the steel-backed smaller seal actually snaps inside the main part of the big crank seal... AFTER installed to proper depth... Hence "2 piece seal"??

- - - Updated - - -

well, right or wrong, the front cover is back on. sheesh. What a ____ poor technical write up on that dang seal. Fel-pro ususally would take a 'problem' inherant to a particular engine, and make improved seals/gaskets over the OEM. But what they did here is add the extra backing to the oem seal, the extra sheild (which is commonly thought of as a 'driver', or depth gauge) which it is NOT. A lot is up to the imagination when opening up the box! No intructions. none. Just a box of 5 loose parts. I must of spent 2 hours searching online for just a scrap of info on this seal!

Figured out the larger flat band was for the breather seal.

I must of blown an hour just to confirm the torque on the pump shaft!:stuned: 125 ft lbs!!! ON A TAPERED SHAFT

is INSANE, especially with a keyed hub and fine thread! But, that's where she's set now!

Are you talking the pump shaft to the ip? Ive wrenched on a few Deutz engines, I remember seeing some wild torque specs with them as well. One particular job I remember doing a head gasket on a 6 cylinder air cooled. Torque specs called for 125 ft lbs plus 120* on the bolt head! About gave myself a hernia!!!

Are you talking the pump shaft to the ip? Ive wrenched on a few Deutz engines, I remember seeing some wild torque specs with them as well. One particular job I remember doing a head gasket on a 6 cylinder air cooled. Torque specs called for 125 ft lbs plus 120* on the bolt head! About gave myself a hernia!!!

yepper! IP drive gear. The pressure that hub trying to stretch it must be horrendous. And add the little slot for the keyway is a perfect spot for a split! I found an early VP44 tech bulletin (straight from Bosch) that has 'only' 25 ft. lbs.. That's what got me searching! When I found more than one agreeing with the 125 ft. lbs.... 'here' included.... that's what I went with. It did take quite a hump to get it dismantled..