• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

First P1740 DTC!

StewB

Driving to work the other day and the CEL came on. Turned out to be P1740 which means the computer didn't see the expected drop in rpm when the TC locked up. I was in third gear under light throttle and everything felt normal at the time. I was unloaded as well. I just turned over 69,000 miles. I've never had a hint of trouble from this tranny except for the 2-3 shuttle, so I cleared the code and it hasn't come back. That was 48 hours ago with two days of normal daily driving since then. I'm not the original owner. Tranny mods I can see are a Mag-Hytec double deep pan and a blue torque converter of unknown brand or specs. The fluid is about 10,000 miles old and looks and smells new. This puts me in a real pickle. I'm leaving in a week to drive 3400 miles (moving from Alaska to Utah) and will weigh just over 21,000 pounds. We've shipped our other vehicle and are living in our travel trailer at the moment. I cant really afford (time wise) to put the truck in the shop or to be without it at this point. I'm in the military and can't delay the trip either. I've read many threads about this. It looks like there are so many things that could cause this that I can't begin to guess which parts to throw at it on my own. I do have the upgraded governor pressure solenoid waiting to be installed at the next pan drop, but I don't think it is related and likely wouldn't solve the problem. I'm inclined to risk it. First code, hasn't come back, and drives normal. What would you guys recommend?Thanks,StewSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my second gen, I would swap the horn and trans relays and watch it closely. However on your third, I would go to the dealer, have him hook up the DRBwhatever scan tool that monitors all the #s in the trans and drive for a bit and see if anything sketchy pops up.Do you have a trans temp gauge?