• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alternator Harness Ground wire and Plug 1998.5 24V

I need some help doing a very simple task but I just can't get it done. Getting old is a real bummer but I guess it is better than the alternative. This is my problem.

I am attempting to install my new battery cables and I can not figure out how to un-plug the Alternator ground plug. It is located at the bottom of the left battery. I know it comes apart by squeezing or twisting the male from the female. There is one wire from the alternator to the battery neg. From the battery neg. there are two wires. One to the fender ground and one to the control box on the firewall. Both wires run through this plug and I do not want to break it, but I cant see how it comes apart. Is there a special tool?

I went out and looked at mine and it looks like it's just a clip lock plug. you might take a pair of channel locks and pinch the button and try pushing it together then pull it apart. Mine didn't take much to get them to separate.

• Like 1

mulcher812, Thank you for the reply. 

I worked under that hood for three hours this morning and just got upset that such a simple thing could be so difficult for me to do. It is humid here today and I just got new glasses and cant see squat so I came in the house and made my post, cooled off and went back at it only I took my old glasses and I got it done. when I started to remove the passenger side battery to block ground [neg] cable I discovered that it was about to fall off the block. I am not agile enough to get at it from the top so I will attack it tomorrow morning from the bottom when it is cool. I bet finding the loose cable and replacing all pos and neg will possibly solve many problems.