DTC P0711: TRANS TEMP SENSOR, NO TEMP RISE AFTER START
Circuit is monitored continuously while ignition is on and engine is running. DTC sets if after 2 trips, transmission temperature is less than 40°F (5°C) and does not increase more than 16°F (8°C) after 20 minutes of driving with vehicle speed greater than 30 MPH. DTC will also set if engine temperature is less than 100°F (38°C), and transmission temperature is more than 260°F (127°C).
- The following items may be area of concern:
- Transmission temperature sensor.
- Harness connectors and related wiring.
1. Turn ignition on. Using scan tool, read DTCs. If good trip counter for DTC P0711 is displayed and is equal to zero, go to next step. If good trip counter is not displayed or is not equal to zero, go to step 7 .
2. Using scan tool, read DTCs. If DTCs P0712, P0713 or P1899 are present, repair these DTCs before proceeding. If none of these DTCs are present, go to next step.
3. Using scan tool, read and record engine coolant temperature and transmission fluid temperature. If transmission fluid temperature is within 41°F (5°C) of engine coolant temperature, go to next step. If transmission temperature is not within 41°F (5°C) of ECT temperature, go to step 5 .
4. Start engine and idle in Drive with parking brake applied. Monitor transmission fluid temperature. If transmission temperature increases by 46°F (8°C) during a 10 minute period, go to step 6 . If transmission temperature does not increase by 46°F (8°C) during a 10 minute period, go to next step.
5. Turn ignition off. Remove transmission oil pan. Disconnect governor pressure/temperature sensor harness connector. Inspect connector and terminals for damage. Repair as necessary. Measure resistance between terminals "C" and "D" at governor pressure/temperature sensor (component side) connector. See Fig. 38 . See TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR RESISTANCE table. If resistance is within specifications, testing is complete. If resistance is not within specification, replace governor pressure/temperature sensor. See REMOVAL & INSTALLATION in appropriate SERVICING article in AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS.
6. Disconnect transmission solenoid harness connector. Inspect connector and terminals for damage. Repair as necessary. If connector and terminals are okay, replace governor pressure/temperature sensor. See REMOVAL & INSTALLATION in appropriate SERVICING article in AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS.
7. Conditions required to set DTC are not currently present. Inspect all related wiring and connectors. Repair as necessary. If wiring and connectors are okay, see INACTIVE DTC CONDITION under SELF-DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM. Testing is complete.