P0124 TPS/APPS INTERMITTENT
When Monitored and Set Condition:
When Monitored: Continuously with the ignition on and engine running.
Set Condition: This DTC will set if the monitored TPS throttle angle between the angles of 6° and 120° and the degree change is greater than 5° within a period of less than 7.0 ms.
- RELATED TPS ENGINE DTC'S PRESENT
- THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR
- POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
- INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS
NOTE: Low fluid level can be the cause of many transmission problems. If the fluid level is low locate and repair the leak then check and adjust the fluid level. Refer to appropriate AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION article.
NOTE: Always perform diagnostics with a fully charged battery to avoid false symptoms.
NOTE: Diagnose 1 Trip Failures as a fully matured DTC.
NOTE: Verify flash level of Powertrain Controller. Some problems are corrected by software upgrades to the Transmission and Engine Systems.
NOTE: Due to the integration of the Powertrain and Transmission control modules - if a controller flash is performed it is necessary to perform STANDARD PROCEDURE - TCM QUICK LEARN and the STANDARD PROCEDURE - DRIVE LEARN . Failure to do so may result in shift quality complaints.
NOTE: Check for applicable TSB's that may apply.
- With the DRBIII(R), read the engine DTC's. Check and repair all Engine DTC's prior to performing Transmission symptom diagnostics. With the DRBIII(R), read Transmission DTC's. Record all DTC's and 1 Trip Failures. Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors. Repair as necessary. Perform the Shift Lever Position Test. If the test does not pass, refer to Symptom test for SYMPTOM: P0706-CHECK SHIFTER SIGNAL . For Gear Ratio DTC's, check and record all CVI's. Most DTC's set on start up but some must be set by driving the vehicle to ensure that all diagnostic monitors have run. Perform this procedure prior to Symptom diagnosis. Continue Go To 2
With the DRBIII(R), check Engine DTC's, this includes all one trip failures. Are there any Engine TPS DTCs present?
Yes --> Refer to the Powertrain category and perform the appropriate symptom. Perform (NGC) 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1 .
No --> Go To 3
With the DRBIII(R), record the EATX EVENT DATA to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set. With the DRBIII(R), erase Transmission DTCs.
NOTE: To erase EATX EVENT DATA information, a BATTERY DISCONNECT must be performed. Performing a BATTERY DISCONNECT will reset all learned Transmission values to controller defaults which may lead to erratic shift schedules.
Drive the vehicle and try to duplicate the conditions in which the DTC was reported by the EATX EVENT DATA. With the DRBIII(R), read Transmission DTCs. Did the DTC P0124 THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR INTERMITTENT, reset?
Yes --> Go To 4
No --> Go To 6
Ignition On, Engine Not Running. With the DRBIII(R), under Transmission Sensors, monitor the TPS voltage in the following step. Slowly open and close the throttle while checking for erratic voltage changes. Did the TPS voltage change smooth and consistent?
Yes --> Go To 5
No --> Replace the Throttle Position Sensor. See appropriate FUEL INJECTION article. Perform (NGC) 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1 .
NOTE: Due to the integration of the Powertrain and Transmission Control Modules, communication between the modules is internal.
- Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors. Repair as necessary. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If there are no possible causes remaining, view repair. Repair Replace the Powertrain Control Module and perform STANDARD PROCEDURE - TCM QUICK LEARN . Refer to ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES . Perform (NGC) 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1 .
The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time. Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit. Wiggle the wires while checking for shorted and open circuits. Pay particular attention to the TPS signal and sensor ground circuits. With the DRBIII(R), check the EATX DTC EVENT DATA to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set. Were there any problems found?
Yes --> Repair as necessary. Perform (NGC) 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1 .
No --> Test Complete.