• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

tightening steering?

Howdy I understand there is a screw that will tighten up the play in my steering. Anyone know where and what the proceedure is? It gives me just enough play that driving it is not as relaxing as it should be, im always always all over the road. thanks Mark

Do you have anything else done to the steering already like DSS, 3rd gen track bar conversion, Borgesson steering shaft? All of these will help tighten up the steering. Have you checked all of the tie rod ends and track bar end and steering shaft for play yet. These will all give loose steering. The reason I ask is because the amount of "Tightness" the gear box adjustment can give is minimal. If it is loose it is best to just replace the box.

I'm also having this issue even though it is better with the DSS I just put on. Figure my steering wheel play is about 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock's worth on the wheel when driving. Like Flagman siad, just enough to keep you correcting most of the time when driving.:mad:

What is DDS? Where do I get the 3.5 turn gear? Is it the entire steering box? Is it Mopar? thank you.

Here is a link to a DSS there are many many places to get them. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BD-1032004 Here is a link to a gear box and is the best option I know of for now. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BORG-800112 And if the steering wheel to gear box shaft has play. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BORG-000950

The sector lash adjustment is the screw with a locknut opposite the pitman arm. Generally takes 70-100k to show wear. If it is adjusted to tight steering will get much worse, there is a high spot at the center of travel. On used cars I bottom the screw with fingers (no ratchet) feeling for point of contact and back off 1/8 th turn. Stuff that wanders usually has over 1/2 turn of slack. If it is to tight it will 'hitch' crossing center, you will have to drive it with the adjustment backed off to try agin.Book says to disconnect the steering from the box to make the adjustment so as to make the finding the center point and feeling when it is to tight easier.

Howdy I understand there is a screw that will tighten up the play in my steering. Anyone know where and what the proceedure is? It gives me just enough play that driving it is not as relaxing as it should be, im always always all over the road. thanks Mark

Just one of the perks of owning a Dodge:thumb1:

• 2 years later...