• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Sign in to follow this  
Mopar1973Man

Cruise Control

Well My Mom's 1996 Dodge Ram had some cruise control issues. Like you set the cruise and it would fade out. Well after digging under the battery tray and getting it un-bolted I managed to get it out in the open. When I inspected the plastic was rotten from the acid that drips from the battery tray.

Posted Image

As you notice there is 2 holes. This was after I cleaned the blistered plastic off which was soft and easy to take off with your finger nail. Well that is for sure my vacuum leak for sure. But I could see something inside the hole and I didn't want to repair the cruise control and have something get damaged or jammed. So there is 2 tiny screw holding a cover plate on by the wiring plug. I used a pair of pilers to twist them out... But this is what I found...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The vacuum controller. It just lightly pressed in to place. So with a small screwdriver you should be able to pry the vacuum controller out.

Knowing I would like to make this repair last I took a piece of old ABS black plastic and heated it with hot screwdriver. This allowed me to tool the heat plastic around and get it to bind with the old plastic as well. As a matter of fact it took quite a bit of plastic to build it back up and make it strong again. As your working it you MUST check inside to be sure you haven't pushed any melted plastic inside. I used a smaller screwdriver and tooled the inside gently.

But all in all it work out good... And now the corner is built up with new plastic.

Posted Image

I took it out for a test drive and it work beautiful now! :thumbsup

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Is there anything you can't do???? :D That is pretty cool that you fixed it... That problem has been haunting you for some time now. Who would of thought there were holes in it from the battery acid... :wow

Good job baby... Posted Image