• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cruise Control

• Owner

Well My Mom's 1996 Dodge Ram had some cruise control issues. Like you set the cruise and it would fade out. Well after digging under the battery tray and getting it un-bolted I managed to get it out in the open. When I inspected the plastic was rotten from the acid that drips from the battery tray.

Posted Image

As you notice there is 2 holes. This was after I cleaned the blistered plastic off which was soft and easy to take off with your finger nail. Well that is for sure my vacuum leak for sure. But I could see something inside the hole and I didn't want to repair the cruise control and have something get damaged or jammed. So there is 2 tiny screw holding a cover plate on by the wiring plug. I used a pair of pilers to twist them out... But this is what I found...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The vacuum controller. It just lightly pressed in to place. So with a small screwdriver you should be able to pry the vacuum controller out.

Knowing I would like to make this repair last I took a piece of old ABS black plastic and heated it with hot screwdriver. This allowed me to tool the heat plastic around and get it to bind with the old plastic as well. As a matter of fact it took quite a bit of plastic to build it back up and make it strong again. As your working it you MUST check inside to be sure you haven't pushed any melted plastic inside. I used a smaller screwdriver and tooled the inside gently.

But all in all it work out good... And now the corner is built up with new plastic.

Posted Image

I took it out for a test drive and it work beautiful now! :thumbsup

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Is there anything you can't do???? :D That is pretty cool that you fixed it... That problem has been haunting you for some time now. Who would of thought there were holes in it from the battery acid... :wow

Good job baby... Posted Image