• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So, I blew a wheel bearing apart driving down the road a few weeks back. I tore my front end apart because I figured why not rebuild it all now. I had a loose ball joint, needed brakes and u joints. I found my front pinion has a lot of play in it, up and down and in and out. I dropped the diff cover and the gears seem okay but the pinion just floats around. I bought a rebuilt kit (Axle shaft seals, bearings and shim kits, pinion seal), but Ive never torn into a differential this far. Seeing as my pinion is free to play move around, I'm assuming that the shims that are left are probably not gonna measure out right.

Does anyone know a good starting point for shims? Whats a good starting point for torque on the the pinion nut (when spinning it)? Any other tips for me too would be greatly appreceated.

Thanks, Mick