• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift Pump Questions??????

capj

My Lift Pump [Fuel Pump/Supply Pump, what ever you want to call it] is leaking and must be replaced. I have a few questions I shall ask below.... any help is appreciated as always.

First off my truck is a 1993 with a CTD. VE IP that I suspect was turned up slightly before I got it. Otherwise pretty much stock. WOT NO LOAD is..... 2725 RPM.

I got a Airtex #1407 Lift Pump from Advance Auto Parts today. Is this pump OK, or do I need to get another kind??

Does the VE IP need a certain fuel pressure supplied to it??? Or is that just the later model trucks and IP's???

Also, the supply line to the Lift Pump looks like it has a "quick connect" or something????? How is that disconnected? I don't want to screw it up.

Does this engine have a 'push rod' that activates the pump?

Anything else I need to know????

Thanks in advance guys........... :thumbup2:

According to this site it can be used, same engine and everything so I don't see why it wouldn't work: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?32-FAQ-Commonly-Asked-Questions-4BT-Files-Pics-Links-PART-s-BOOKMARK-THIS-THREAD I think the connector you are looking at is just a fancy compression fitting. It basically goes on just like the injector line nuts. Let me find some pics that you can say yay or nay to on how it looks. Yes the engine has a cam lobe that pushes on that lift pump "pumping" it. Do the fittings look like the ones in the pic? They are the fancy compression ones.. just unscrew them all the way then the line pops out.

post-45-138698171284_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nope, the supply line fitting that feeds the lift pump is nothing like that.

The fuel out line to the IP is just a standard compression fitting, but not the line feeding the lift pump? :shrug:

--- Update to the previous post...

I think I found it. It looks more like the disconnect shown in the picture on page 4 of this link..... http://www.genosgarage.com/GenosGarageTechArticles/TDRGuide_FuelTransferPump.pdf

I knew I had seen that before, been sitting here :banghead: My fuel tank lines are the same connector (on the top of that big white thing in the tank). You just pinch those things just like it says to do in the pic.

• Like 1

Yeah you just squeeze the plastic tabs together and pull the line and it comes right off. You shouldn't have to pull with any tension, it just unlocks and the line comes off.

Thanks ISX, I was just trying to make sure so I didn't screw something up. :thumbup2: